iOS7 misses the boat on Location Aware?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by WJKramer, Sep 4, 2013.

1. WJKramer macrumors 6502

So if I am at home connected to my WiFi network why don't I have the option to set the passcode lock to disable? I sure would like to set a phone security state based on whether or not I am away or at a trusted location. Seem's obvious.

I agree that NFC is crap but wouldn't it be great if when you left your house (WiFi) your phone would self secure? It could be possible to initiate other services as well such as bluetooth for the car ride. When you arrive at work and connect to WiFi bluetooth shuts off and the passcode comes back at a longer interval timeout?

What say you all!? Let's hear constructive ideas on this topic.

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I really like your idea. If a user sets "trusted locations" with WiFi as the location indicator, it makes perfect sense.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

The topic has been discussed on many tech sites and it's an interesting idea but there are some scenarios that should be reviewed. For example, what if you are going to college and your dorm Wi-Fi is your "trusted" network? This leaves your phone vulnerable to prying eyes and would be thieves.

5. paulcdb macrumors regular

Not just that... what about the times you put your phone down at home only for friends to start going through messages, texting people, etc, like after a few drinks?

While i'd hope my friends aren't the sort that would, prevention is always better than cure and who knows, 'IF' the fingerprint scanner rumour is true, the whole password thing could soon be a moot point anyway!

6. Damolee macrumors 6502

That would be at the risk of the owner to choose which network is trusted or not, just as the decision to even put a passlock on in the first place.

I don't have one on mine, because if someone wants to mug me for it... rest assured I will use it as a weapon on their face and they won't want it after anyway. :D

I don't like the hassle of having to key it in everytime.

7. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Then don't select that WiFi network as a trusted location? I'm sure if it was implemented it would let you select certain WiFi locations.

8. darkfiber macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

That would be a nice feature to have (having not to enter your security code when you use your home network).

9. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Then where is your trusted network? I'm just saying there are scenarios where home isn't exactly a trusted network and I'm sure no one would consider their work network trusted.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

11. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

With a fingerprint sensor in the new phone, if its done right, you wouldn't need to have it do this anyway....

12. mainer4101 macrumors member

I think for those select instances in which your home network is not considered "safe," such as if you have a lot of roommates, then the feature will be an unfortunate one those people can not take advantage of. But for a majority of people, mainly adults, people who live by themselves or just with their spouse, people who work Ina small office environment, or those who have their phone connected to their car via Bluetooth, I think it would be a very handy feature. Features do not need to only be applied if everyone can or will use it (i.e. Accessibility feature), but rather if a subsect of their buying group would get a beneficial use out of it and it is a feature in their OS that differentiates them from their competition.

13. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'm just not sure how I would feel having to enter a passcode and then not enter one and then enter one again. It's kind of disrupting. I'm not against the idea I just wouldn't use it.

Besides, with the fingerprint authentication coming with the iphone 5S do we even need this?

14. mainer4101 macrumors member

I think there are always going to be people "skeptical" of the whole finger print thing who will opt to have a pass code instead. I know if the location-based "safe haven" for entering a pass code was implemented, I would use pass code over fingerprint scanner.

15. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Err... you simply don't have one?

Why would it have to be a mandatory feature?

16. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

And homes get broken into. And my car in the driveway is within wifi range so if I forgot my phone in the car it would be unlocked. Too many downsides for this feature.

17. Deguello macrumors 6502

Then don't use it. Problem solved.

18. Parise macrumors 6502a

Parise

If your home gets broken into you have much bigger problems than your phone being unlocked. If that did happen, however, do not fret. It would lock after said burglar leaves your trusted network. Also, not sure about you, but I never mistakenly leave my phone in the car for more than 15 mins, and I always lock my car doors.

I like this idea as I'm tired of turning on and off the passcode when I get home.

19. GenesisST macrumors 68000

GenesisST

I actually had that idea a long time ago and very likely wasn't the first either. I sent a suggestion to Apple, but it propably wound up in /dev/null...

----------

This would have to be intelligent, like:
    1) Don't unlock automatically when you connect to your SSID
    2) Lock automatically when you got out of range.

Once you are home and you unlock it, then it should remain unlocked.

These are just examples, but it could be relatively secure

20. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

21. kevo1011 macrumors regular

I agree. I was hoping for location based settings. Like home wifi, go to DND or silent. To have these settings would also allow like home wifi forward calls to home number. The possibilities are unlimited. I was really hoping for apple to produce a version of the google app locale. The app allows you to do just what I'm looking for. There is also intelliborn on the JB side that allows this but I'm not JB.

Don't get me started on SMS forward & auto reply. I can't believe apple hasn't done this with all the don't text & drive pressure. You would think apple would give it to us and then allow us to decide to install it or not much like the Facebook app.

Maybe iOS 8...

Sadly, I sure I've wasted the 5 minutes it took me to type this because Aplle is only going to do what they want.