iOS7 requires iTunes11 for syncing?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by globalist, Sep 26, 2013.

1. globalist macrumors 6502a

I know iTunes11 is officially required for syncing your iOS7 device to a Mac/PC, but I've also heard reports of people being able to sync even with previous iTunes versions, i.e. 10.7 etc.

I'd like to hear your experience with this, thanks!

2. nikicampos macrumors 6502a

If you do a clean restore you need iTunes 11.1, and if you just updated you could sync in previous versions (not 100% sure about the ladder).

3. globalist thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'd like to install iOS7 on my iPad to see what the fuss is about but I won't be forfeiting my beloved iTunes 10.7 for the new rubbish one, just to be able to sync. Can anyone confirm they can sync regardless?

4. PoopyThomas macrumors newbie

No it won't work, when I had the betas and GM I wasn't able to sync unless I had iTunes 11.

5. errant macrumors member

errant

Tried it. You can't unfortunately. I was very sad to see iTunes 10.7 go. Fortunately I have an extra unused laptop with it to use requiem if/when I need it.

6. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

Just curious, why do you prefer iTunes 10.7 over 11? Is it the redesign?

7. globalist thread starter macrumors 6502a

Redesign, removed features, crippled usability of views, just to name a few. There's been numerous threads full of dissatisfied users.

Sorry but I am an itunes power user with a big music library and an established workflow of using tha app, not someone who will salivate over the new "cool" colors in the iT11 album view.

8. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

Fair enough. I prefer iTunes 11, but I wouldn't consider myself a power user. Definitely more than an average user, but not a power user quite yet. ;) Different uses, for different people. :)

9. Altis macrumors 68020

If you're a power user, and prefer 10.7, there's a very high chance the iOS 7 music app will be devastating to you.

They've stylistically gone the same route... Removed some functionality in exchange for the theme (largely white everything). You can only see about half the artists at a time (3.5 on my 4S), 2.5 playlists. The artists have a bunch of Apple-chosen photos that you are unlikely to recognize, and will mostly look the same. You can no longer "view all songs" by an artist, instead they are shown by album in chronological order (takes a lot of space), and since it's all white, you can't easily tell where to touch.

I just wanted to put that out there, because they applied a similar mentality from 10.7 to 11, but even more limiting.

10. globalist thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for that reminder, although I was gonna try the new iOS on my iPad whilst keeping my iPhone (where all of my mobile music listening takes place) still on iOS 5. :)

11. Altis macrumors 68020

A wise choice! I'm trying to figure out what to do about it all now.