iOS7 seems to prefer to connect to secure APs with WiFi

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Aecasorg, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Aecasorg macrumors newbie

Hi!

I've found that iOS7 seems to prefer to connect to secure APs even though these have weaker signals. My main AP one uses a MAC filter as security (we live out in the country side) however my iPhone 5 keeps choosing the other APs we have that are weaker. iOS6 didn't do this but rather tried to stay on the last one or strongest signal. It is a little bit frustrating. Does anyone know of any way to change this? It would be great if there was a way.

Thanks in advance!

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

1. Security. Prioritizing security for you.

2. Performance, prioritizing for performance. In order to reach 802.11n speeds, WPA2/AES is required. If the access point isn't using WPA2/AES, then speed tops at 802.11g speed.

3. Aecasorg thread starter macrumors newbie

I figured the security, however I didn't know about that the WPA2 was required for 802.11n. It used to be that security slowed the connections down and lowered the range. So maybe a reason to switch on the security then...

Thanks for the answer!

4. Rigby macrumors 601

I don't know why the iPhone picks the other APs (did you perhaps supress SSID broadcast?), but it is not because of the MAC filter, since the phone cannot possibly detect that.

And BTW, a MAC filter can be easily circumvented by spoofing, so it does not provide any security worth mentioning. I'd strongly recommend to use WPA.

----------

Uhm, no.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Uhm, yes.

I was speaking off the cuff before. Apparently no security might do full speed as well. Though I've never considered that an option.

But WEP or WPA will hamstring you to G speeds.

Need WPA/AES for full N speed. Please don't use WPA as the previous poster recommended.

6. Rigby macrumors 601

What you said is incorrect. It is true that the 802.11n standard forbids the use of WEP or TKIP at higher speeds (but nobody in their right mind uses them anymore anyway). But you do not need to use WPA to achieve full performance. The OP was clearly talking about an AP with no encryption.
    :rolleyes: Of course I was referring to using WPA with AES.

7. Aecasorg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answer. Nope, I'm not suppressing the SSID. I use as basic as possible to avoid speed and signal loss. However, every time I look at my phone it has connected to APs that are weaker and that use WPA2. So it seems to me that it is coded into iOS7 to choose secure connections over unsecure ones irregardless of signal strength, however I might be wrong and it might be something else.

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Two dumb questions:

DQ 1: Does the iPhone base the network to join to on the SSID? If so, what happens if you rename a network to be in a different "order"?

DQ2: Is your phone's MAC address properly entered in the secure AP?

Bonus DQ: If you forget all networks (or reset the settings on the phone) does the behavior remain the same?

9. Yun0 Suspended

Yun0

no. that isnt ONLY when security is ENABLED it needs to be using wpa2 aes, no security at all can & does still get 802.11n.

10. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Yes, thank you, try reading this thread as that has been pointed out. All massive 8 posts of it, I know that's a lot to ask. Sorry.

11. Aecasorg thread starter macrumors newbie

Why would they be dumb questions? :)

DQ1: The SSIDs are "DrayTek" (The main one without WPA2 turned on), "Devolo*****" and "SKY*****". So if you're thinking alphabetically, then no, wouldn't think so. Besides, I'm at loathed to change the SSID as so many things are dependant on it (such as WiFi speakers, computers, mobile phones etc). Don't want to fiddle with something that works well. :)

DQ2: Yes, all APs work. It is just the WPA2 disabled (DrayTek) one that most times I have to manually select in the WiFi settings on my iPhone. It works well when it is selected.

Bonus DQ: I would presume it would hook up to that fine. It does it when there's nothing else around. I other words, no, I've not tried it yet. I'll get back to you on that after I've tried it during the day.

Thanks! :)

12. Aecasorg thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried with "forgetting" the other APs and iOS7 directly uses the unsecure AP since there's no alternative. In other words, it prioritises security when choosing known APs.

Thanks for your responses guys.