Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gusted

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
I had a developer account a few years ago to mess around with Xcode in my spare time. The new iOS and OS look great, but I was wondering if having an iOS Developer account gives you access to OS X Yosemite and vice-versa (having Mac developer account grants you access to iOS8?).

I know these updates are all about platforms working as one—and, as such, this may be a stupid question— but I just wanted to check and see before I decided to go at it again.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
I had a developer account a few years ago to mess around with Xcode in my spare time. The new iOS and OS look great, but I was wondering if having an iOS Developer account gives you access to OS X Yosemite and vice-versa (having Mac developer account grants you access to iOS8?).

I know these updates are all about platforms working as one—and, as such, this may be a stupid question— but I just wanted to check and see before I decided to go at it again.

The iOS developer account grants you access to Yosemite this time around. Not sure about vice versa (I will assume no).

hallidc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2013
I'm not 100% certain, however you can download Yosemite through the public beta program.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
How? I'm in my portal and Yosemite is greyed out.

At work now without my portal login, but I was able to download it. Created a redemption code for the Mac App Store. And I am definitely only an iOS developer.

I seem to recall it was in the iOS8 section however, if that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.