iOS8 problems with Verizon Network Extender and VoLTE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ronm99, Oct 28, 2014.

1. ronm99 macrumors 6502

Since getting my iPhone 6+, my phone has been dropping a lot of calls in my house. I finally figured out that my phone was no longer connecting to my network extender. After a day of fiddling around with the extender, I finally realized that the problem was VoLTE (Voice over LTE).

I have it turned on for my phone, and in general, I am super happy with it. The call quality over LTE is so much better. Calls are crystal clear and so much easier to understand.

However, the problem is that at home, I have a weak LTE signal and a strong 3G signal via my network extender. If I enable VoLTE, the phone will try to use LTE for the calls which sometimes works okay, but frequently drops my calls which is extremely annoying.

Verizon really needs to enable WiFi calling so I can finally get rid of the network extender, and get decent phone calls in my home. If they don't implement it soon, I am seriously considering switching to T-Mobile. I don't have a landline, so I depend on my cell phone when I am at home.

2. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Had the exact same problem. I turned off the LTE calling feature just so I can use the phone at home with my Network Extender. Just a PITA.

3. ag29 macrumors 6502

VoLTE "HD Voice" only works when you talk with other Verizon VoLTE devices (Iphone 6, 6 plus, galaxy s5, and lg g2).

There is no benefit to call quality when VoLTE HD Voice is not on, so your calls will not be any clearer unless you are talking to others with those devices.

Sounds like the reason your calls are getting dropped is because you have VoLTE ON, and you don't have the best LTE coverage in your home so as soon as your LTE drops to 3g, your call drops.

With the VoLTE future, calls automatically drop as soon as you lose your LTE connection.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/faqs/WirelessService/AdvancedCalling.html

4. wxman2003 Suspended

Although Verizon has more LTE coverage, their LTE network is not as dense as other carriers, thus they have greater distances between LTE towers. Their 3g network is more dense. Unless they plan to upgrade all of their 3G towers before they switch completely over to VoLTE in the next few years, this problem will become worse for many users who will be forced to make calls over LTE as they upgrade to newer devices.