iOS8 REQUIRES a passcode?!

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by mdwsta4, Sep 18, 2014.

1. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

I'm leaving my jailbreak on my iPhone 5, but usually upgrade on my iPad as I don't use as many tweaks on it. Finally downloaded it this morning and am prompted to enter a passcode (something I don't use on my iPad). Tried to continue but I wasn't allowed. Created a temp passcode to finish the setup process then immediately removed it from settings. Now I'm prompted to enter a passcode within XX minutes. Why? What happens if I don't enter one? Why is Apple telling me I HAVE to have a passcode?!?!

On a side note, more apps that can't be deleted (Tips and Podcasts)!?!?! Really Apple? Tips?! I've been using iOS for 7 years, pretty sure I don't need any tips, let alone an app that I can't delete!! Removal of Camera Roll in the photos app is a HUGE loss for me. And it looks like they moved around the bookmark tab in Safari again (wasn't it on the left side in iOS6, then to the right in iOS7).

Any help with the passcode issue would be greatly appreciated. Already not fond of the changes.

Thank you
    M

2. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

iOS 8 does not require a password.

I just turned off mine.
    Maybe you're using a company phone or something that's preventing you from disabling the password.

Attached Files:

3. mdwsta4 thread starter macrumors 65816

I am not using a company iPad and I most certainly turned it off. Just turned it on and back off again to confirm. As soon as I go to the home screen I am prompted with 'passcode requirement. You must set a passcode within 60 minutes'.

4. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

Sorry I mis read what you said. I don't have iOS 8 on my iPad so I can't confirm. But disabling it on the iPhone and I got no prompt.

Sorry I can't help further.

5. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Do you have any custom profiles installed?

6. TheKrs1 macrumors 6502

They have to have a custom profile installed.

7. threelions macrumors regular

I didn't have to enter a passcode with either of my Ipads. It prompts you twice to make sure at the start but you just confirm you don't want one.

8. bransoj macrumors 6502a

There is a prompt on the initial setup after installing iOS8, as there was with iOS7, asking if you wish to setup a passcode but you can skip past the initial prompt and the confirmation without any issue. My iPad 3 has been updated and has no passcode at all.

9. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

This is amazing. There are indeed lots of people who have no passcode, or any security, on their devices.

Yet, people will call for the death of Apple if they thought any of their stuff would be broken into, yet they would totally freak just as much if Apple did happen to 'require' a passcode. Wouldn't they?

10. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

11. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

IPad retina mini wit ios8, and no password is required. I'm guessing it was set up wrong, and you're assuming that your experience applies to everyone.

12. mdwsta4 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, I have one profile installed. And going into the profile it appears as though it does in fact require a password. Looks like I'll be deleting the profile. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I don't have any 'compromising' information on my iPad. I use it to surf the net, watch YouTube, and check email. Losing it would suck, but it's not like I keep credit card info, secure documents, or nude pictures on it.