iOS8 Took Up Around 8GB on My Mac

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by A1SteakSauce, Oct 22, 2014.

1. A1SteakSauce macrumors member

A1SteakSauce

Hi all,

I didn't have enough room on my iPhone to update to iOS8 over the air so I instead did it through iTunes. Due to the installation and extracting software and backing up my iPhone, the storage on my macbook pro dwindled down and in the end took about 8GB of hd space. I know that when installing software it uses some hd space but I thought that most would return after it installs and reboots. So, what do I do? Can I get that space back? Is there a file that I don't need anymore on my computer that I can get rid of?

All help would be appreciated! I am down to 3GB of hard drive left. Thank you!

2. infantrytrophy macrumors regular

Some deep technically savvy guy might know where the download file is stored.

Rather than finding such a person to try to track this down, I would first try a re-boot of your Mac. Maybe this is just in some temporary storage or cache that might be deleted with a re-boot.

3. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

ios ispw file = 1.6 - 1.8 GB, this keeps on the machine and a backup of the iPhone, so 8 GB is easily possible. I use iTunes on Windows, so I can't help with the files location.

Just google for it, you should get plenty of information. And yes, you can delete the files.

4. A1SteakSauce thread starter macrumors member

A1SteakSauce

Thank you! I found it and deleted it. It gave me an extra 2 GB of storage. I appreciate the help!