Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Serban

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
So based on the box leaks, are or are not animated wallpapers in iOS9 beta?
im asking to know if with iphone 6s we will have motion wallpapers

Serban

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
are you serious? how can it be? motion wallpapers are not part of iOS9?

PilotTiny

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2013
United Kingdom
They're in iOS 9, but will only be available on the 6s and 6s Plus.
Hmm, please tell me how you got hold of the Golden Master before everybody else? We don't know yet, it is most likely a 6S exclusive, but new live wallpapers were added to the Golden Master of iOS 7, it is quite possible Apple just wants to hold them back until the official release.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
If the 6s doesn't have an OLED screen there is no reason for this to be the case, we'll have to wait and see.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Hmm, please tell me how you got hold of the Golden Master before everybody else? We don't know yet, it is most likely a 6S exclusive, but new live wallpapers were added to the Golden Master of iOS 7, it is quite possible Apple just wants to hold them back until the official release.

Obviously I don't have them, but if they're 6s exclusives (according to Mark Gurman), then of course they'll be in iOS 9 (the versions running on the new phones).

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013

The GM is the same build as the official release. The GM is what's installed on every new, sealed, iPhone 6s and 6s Plus.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I can tell you the truth, and the truth is no-one knows yet. No-one knows if there are indeed motion wallpapers, let alone if they will be an "s" exclusive if present. Besides, how anyone can determine motion wallpapers are coming just because there is some fish on the (alleged) box is beyond me.

PilotTiny

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2013
United Kingdom
The GM is the same build as the official release. The GM is what's installed on every new, sealed, iPhone 6s and 6s Plus.
I know, thats why I think they have been holding them back.
I can tell you the truth, and the truth is no-one knows yet. No-one knows if there are indeed motion wallpapers, let alone if they will be an "s" exclusive if present. Besides, how anyone can determine motion wallpapers are coming just because there is some fish on the (alleged) box is beyond me.
This.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Then why would the 6s only get new motion wallpapers if the screens are the same?

Who says it is?

Besides, we all know how Apple reserve new features for their flagship devices despite older devices being capable. Just look at Siri that ran on the iPad mini but not the iPad 2 despite both devices essentially being the same.

PilotTiny

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2013
United Kingdom
Then why would the 6s only get new motion wallpapers if the screens are the same?
This is what I am trying to say. Remember when Apple added extra dynamic wallpapers into the GM of iOS 7? I think the same is happening here. I think Apple is just holding the Motion wallpapers for the GM.

Reactions: Paddle1

PilotTiny

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2013
United Kingdom
Who says it is?

Besides, we all know how Apple reserve new features for their flagship devices despite older devices being capable. Just look at Siri that ran on the iPad mini but not the iPad 2 despite both devices essentially being the same.
The iPad Mini had Duel Microphones for better noise cancelling, the iPad 2 did not. I did once add Siri to my iPad 2 via a jailbreak a few years ago, it didn't go well, you basically had to shout at the thing lol

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Nope, iPad 2 has never officially had Siri, anyway this is off topic.

I actually think the iPhone 6 & 6 Plus will get the Motion wallpapers, if they exist.

I don't think there are any motion wallpapers. I agree they could be holding them back for the GM, but I just don't see them existing without OLED. The "s" doesn't have OLED.

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
I don't think there are any motion wallpapers. I agree they could be holding them back for the GM, but I just don't see them existing without OLED. The "s" doesn't have OLED.

what does oled have to do with anything. We have lots of animation going on now in wallpapers what with parallax and all.

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
what does oled have to do with anything. We have lots of animation going on now in wallpapers what with parallax and all.

Long time no post from me but OLED is more energy efficient then LCD technology, thus saving battery life. Not sure how efficient it would be but it's definitely a good point.

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
Long time no post from me but OLED is more energy efficient then LCD technology, thus saving battery life. Not sure how efficient it would be but it's definitely a good point.

I doubt OLED is related in any way to wallpaper animation presence or lack thereof... as I said you are already animating the spring board due to parallax, and this feature goes back to the 4S I believe (or 5?) and of course we already have animated unlock screens.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
If the 6s doesn't have an OLED screen there is no reason for this to be the case, we'll have to wait and see.

There could be plenty of other reasons.
1. Apple may feel that the A9 is so efficient that the effects on battery life would be negligible
2. and/or the 6s may have some additional low power chip that makes certain background activities more energy efficient.
3. other reasons I cannot currently imagine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.