Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mondo21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
Hi all, Today I received an alert on my iphone that IOS9 was downloaded and ready to install.
However I DO NOT WANT IOS 9 YET... Previously when an IOS download comes down ( Because I just so happen to have enough disk space ) the download can be removed by going to setting\general\usage\
in here the IOS download is usually there where I can delete it and free up some precious disk space.
However with the latest IOS9 download when I check this location the download is NOT there. Therefore I cannot remove the download. I do get the option to install IOS9 now....So the download is somewhere on the iphone.
So why are apple hiding the download now ? Feels to me like apple are holding my disk space to ransom until I update to IOS9...apparently this happened before on IOS7 until apple "FIXED" it ?
Anyone any idea on how to remove the download.
Thx,
Ray...

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Same thing here. Now I'm getting, "your storage is almost full" messages. No way in heck am I upgrading, certainly not OTA.... All because I freaking charged my phone.

I was already having wired issues yesterday - I bet this relates to that.

This sucks.

Reactions: !!!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Various people have reported deleting the downloaded update from Settings, so it's odd that someone would have it downloaded but not show up there. I mean there are certainly glitches that affect some people here or there, and maybe this is one of those. I'm assuming restarting the phone has been attempted?

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Various people have reported deleting the downloaded update from Settings, so it's odd that someone would have it downloaded but not show up there. I mean there are certainly glitches that affect some people here or there, and maybe this is one of those. I'm assuming restarting the phone has been attempted?
I was just able to delete it, and my phone was showing 1.9gb available.

I'm ASSuming that when I checked it earlier, it was in the process of finishing its download? Because it was there, and i was showing a big fat ZERO for available space.

Of course, I just went to 8.4.1 last week, and i'm trying to figure out what happened because before i started that - I had 18gb free. Now I have 3gb? UGH, I went to bed as that update finally finished and apparently forgot to check on it afterwards.

But thanks for the prod to check settings again - hopefully for the OP it is the same.

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
Our iPhone 5S running iOS 7.1.2 has 18.4GB available. Settings>General>Software Update shows that iOS 9.01 has downloaded, offering to “Install Now”. In Settings>General>Usage>Storage iOS 9.0.1 only shows up after selecting “Show all Apps” because it is supposedly only using 78.8MB.

GetRealBro

mondo21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
Thank you , I found the update in "Show All Apps"

I never thought of clicking “Show all Apps” because ( as before) I was expecting IOS download to be almost top of the disk space list .

“Show all Apps” Shows IOS 9 download supposedly only using 78.8MB..

I currently Have 671MB Available
Show all apps
Deleted IOS 9 update
Now I Have 749MB available

There is now way that IOS update is only 78 MB.

It's still there somewhere using my space...Hard to spot if you have 64Gb/128GB Iphones.
But I have 16GB ( Disk space is precious)
IOS 9 also has the "feature" of uninstalling your apps so as to have enough disk space to install itself.
This is just another of apples attempts to FORCE an update on its users so that the public can debug the issues...

I have a rule of thuumb....update a few months later when all the bugs have been sorted.Not immediately the Update is out.

Ray..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.