Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2014
Just installed iOS9 on iPad mini 1.
My advice: Don’t do it!

iPad Mini is even slower than it was before, almost unusable.

To everyone who expected this update to breathe new life into the old A5 devices, unfortunately it won’t. Maybe a later version will but after experiencing this, I would not count on it.

I haven’t really discovered any new features at all except for the better keyboard and new notes app.
None of the more exciting features are supported (as expected).

Device startup is incerdbly slow.

There is only 1 new wallpaper.

Comparing this to iOS8, I would say that there is absolutely no noticeable improvement. If anything, it’s gotten worse. The final version will probably be a little bit better but still painfully slow.

To everyone who still uses this iPad, now is the time to move on to a new device.
I’m sure glad I just have this lying around and don’t actually have to use it.
The fact that Apple still sells this thing is beyond me. They really nee to stop!

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2014
And this is why they don't give the beta out to the public right away.

It’s really not necessary to post this every time.
I have been using betas since a long time. I know what to expect. I know that when it runs as slowly as it does now, there are no huge improvements to be expected.
Of course it will improve but it still won’t run like iOS6 did.

I also tried the El Capitan Beta. The speed increase is very noticeable, right from the start.

Reactions: g-7

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Is the final release of iOS 9 any better on the mini 1?
Anyone upgrade?

Wyvernspirit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Massachusetts
My wife updated her iPad Mini to iOS 9, it's early yet, but she reports no issues at this time. To her nothing haas changed from before (speed or features). So far she hasn't seen any reason not to update it. On my mini 2 I actually had issues, one that is solved (I hope, so far no recurrence) and the other may take an update to fix.

Issues:
Home screen rotations issues (Working at the moment after a reboot)
No instant hotspot with my iPhone

Anyways, thats my input at the moment

pierrox

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2015
Paris, France
My iPad Mini 1st gen stayed on iOS7 after the first reports from early adopters. I was hoping iOS9 would be better but it looks like it's still not a great OS for that "old" machine. Will wait some more days... or keep it at OS7.

McRumour

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2013
Is the final release of iOS 9 any better on the mini 1?
Anyone upgrade?

I just did - iPad Mini download/installation quite slow compared to iPhone 5s which I did once iPad was completed.

No issues at all on either device.

iPad Mini is 1st gen.

Too soon to say categorically that iOS9 is an improvement - but a cursory inspection leads me to think it is!

YMMV

jamesgf

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2013
I updated mine from 8, besides taking forever to download and update, it seems better on 9. Safari seems faster with less keyboard/typing lag which was horrible for me on 8, making it borderline useless before.

Reactions: poe diddley

RiderX

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2012
I updated mine from 8, besides taking forever to download and update, it seems better on 9. Safari seems faster with less keyboard/typing lag which was horrible for me on 8, making it borderline useless before.

Yep, same here. iOS 9 is the best update for older devices. Makes them usable again for another year before final retirement.

Kvothet

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2015
In iPad 2 i just have one problem.
Safari is always crashing and refreshing pages.

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
On our family iPad mini 1, there is some lag, but after turning off the animations, it seems to be fine. Will be holding out on future upgrades before installing them. Even though its not too bad, I'm still wondering if it's possible to downgrade to 8.4.1...

Nadir98

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2015
On our family iPad mini 1, there is some lag, but after turning off the animations, it seems to be fine. Will be holding out on future upgrades before installing them. Even though its not too bad, I'm still wondering if it's possible to downgrade to 8.4.1...

Yes. Do it now before Apple closes the revert window. Went down from 9.1 beta to 8.4.1 on my mini 1, and 8.4.1 is so much better in comparison.

poe diddley

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005
greensboro nc
Did the ios9 update when it came out and I have not had any major issues other than the iCloud backup problem that others are experiencing. It seems to work better than ios8 for the most part, other than iCloud issue which actually seems to be an issue in their servers.
Original mini here.

Wyvernspirit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Massachusetts
Sounds like mine will stay on iOS7...

Don't know why, what's your reasoning?

All the Original mini's I've seen in person run 8 and 9 fine. If it seems sluggish there are things you can do to speed it up (turn off unneeded animations and such). With 7 there are security holes that will never get patched, and there may be software that you will not be able to use/update.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
iOS 9 runs great on my iPad mini 1. Not so great on my iPhone 6 though which is weird. You'd think it would be faster on newer hardware, but what do I know??

pierrox

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2015
Paris, France
The thing is, on iOS7, it's super smooth and fast, I don't quite want to lose that.
I don't know anyone who owns one, to see for myself what iOS9 is like.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
As usual my advice for old devices is the same: if you are worried about performance, keep iOS 7.1 as the latest acceptable.
Otherwise install iOS 9 and disable effects: you are going to obtain acceptable performance

Reactions: Wyvernspirit
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.