iOSs and the perils of updating

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by sskhaliq, Jan 16, 2015.

1. sskhaliq macrumors newbie

So a couple of months back I quite hesitantly updated from ios 6.1 to 8.1. I don't usually jump on the immediate updaters bandwagon. . Was happy with the It worked, was super smooth and had no issues. But since some of the new apps needed an update I was forced to do so.
    Well lo and behold I immediately regretted, the screen transitions, notification and control panel was extremely jerky, messaging app was even more so. And when it was smooth, it all looked artificial.
    So when the new update 8.1.2 came out not surprisingly I wanted to join the bandwagon this time but only did so after I read a couple of reviews.
    In terms of smoothness I can report that this update had been great, no complaints now! Some say it's as good as 7.1.2 not sure as I never used it. But I'll be sticking to this update for some time now.
    8.1.2 is finally not a monster

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

It has been shaky with some of the earlier iOS 8 updates but things are fairly stable now. I'd like to see Apple do better testing with this stuff. Hopefully they will going forward.

3. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

iOS 8 is still absolutely atrocious on iPads with translucency enabled, but are pre-iPad Air 2. Stuttering EVERYWHERE.

4. sskhaliq thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep.. And not sure why they wouldn't allow consumers to go back to older iOS, frankly I think it's criminal!

5. tryphone macrumors member

I'm hardly an apple fanboy but you guys are being ridiculous. Android doesn't get updates past a certain point and only if you have a popular phone. Windows phone you have to have a developer account to get an update a year. Two if your very lucky. Do I wish we could revert back sometimes? Yes! But it's more complicated than that on iOS. Be thankful you get updates at all on older devices, that's how marketing works. And never jump into an update if it's a big one. Wait a little while.

6. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

If my Android phone was running smoothly I wouldn't want an 'update' that slowed it down and raped the battery life. After numerous poorly functioning iOS updates I'm actually beginning to prefer the Android model! Stick with what you've got!
    As for iOS8, if you bought an iPhone 6 then you were lumbered with the buggy mess whether you wanted it or not. Owners simply have to upgrade and risk more bugs in the often vain hope that their old bugs will be fixed! It's not quite as simple as you're making out.

7. tryphone macrumors member

Me, my girlfriend, and two of my friends have the 5c running iOS 8.1.2 with no issues. I get some stutter here and there but it's so minute that you wouldn't even think of it. It's smooth as butter most of the time.

8. DanGoh macrumors 6502

DanGoh

Glad I'm still running 7.1.2 on my iPad Air. But it really makes you realize that technology isn't advanced as it seems.

9. sskhaliq thread starter macrumors newbie

That's hardly the point, anyone with some common sense would research before upgrading. You still may not have the entire picture by reading reviews. Point is we should be allowed to revert in case things go sour, instead of a holy matrimony type of commitment.

10. tryphone macrumors member

I agree with you 100%.

11. I7guy macrumors G5

IOS 8.1.2 on an iPhone 6 works just fine. My mantra is update at the earliest possible moment after an update/upgrade is released.

I'm waiting for the day you get rid of iphone for android. Those poor people on the alternatives forum. :)

12. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

☺️ Unfair, but I took it the right way.

13. vexorg macrumors 6502a

Don't agree with the first half at all and fully agree with the second half. If a device says a new update from APPLE is available click here to install, who are we mere mortals to argue with the maker.

14. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Umm because apple isn't perfect. So Apple says to take your iPhone put it in your pocket and jump off a bridge you would do it too?

lol still have to do a little research or at least hit up the forums after an update is released and before you yourself update to be sure,nothing is full proof not even ios updates.

15. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Yeah because jumping off a bridge with your iPhone is the same thing as applying an update. :rolleyes:

16. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

It isn't? Judging by some reactions here from time to time I would be surprised it's not the same lol

17. tryphone macrumors member

Apple is perfect in every way. I don't want to here about anything else but apple. Apple apple apple apple apple apple apple

18. vexorg macrumors 6502a

Yeah, because trusting apple with IOS update is the same as jumping off a bridge..... That bears no relation to the problem of updates. (although if it fixed the problems I'm sure some would try)

With millions of products at somewhere around $1,000 each, you would hope they have the resources to get it right. Or at least be gracious enough to let us go back if they get it wrong.

Or put it this way, guess how many microsoft updates I've needed to research in the last 10 years? or probably more. Windows just updates itself now without even asking. It's call progress, where we have better things to do that make sure apple engineers know how to program their own devices.

In the same way I would not question a car manufacturer that says I need to get an update or a recall to fix something. There is an inherent trust that the manufacturer knows what they are doing.

And that may be fine to do your research for the tech savvy, I'm willing to bet 90% of apple owners don't even know how to go about finding out - until it's too late.

19. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Absolutely spot-on.
    I'll add that even if people did do some research before updating, so many fanboys state that all is well even when it clearly isn't!

20. I7guy macrumors G5

With 100 million IOS devices out there, I'm willing to bet 90% don't have issues or have minor issues and don't care. 99.99% might know they have issues and don't really care and .01% have issues and know about them and major or minor wind up on the internet.

----------

Nice! :apple: Let's marginalize those who are saying the issues are fairly minor and who like the update and/or point out this was far from being apples worst hour.

21. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I'm just saying that the majority of posters on these forums say that all is well with the hardware & software. So even if someone researched whether to put an iOS update onto their phones, the concensus would be to do so regardless of whether it was a problematic update. Heck, the majority of people here are still swearing blind that 1GB of RAM is perfectly adequate so would you necessarily want their opinion on whether to upgrade or not?

22. mhdena macrumors 6502

I have an iphone 5 on 6, an ipad air on 7 and an iphone 6 on 8.

My they all have similar performance and will stay with what they have now.

I don't believe in going past the ios they come with, in most cases it doesn't add anything but gripes.

23. tryphone, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015

tryphone macrumors member

iOSs and the perils of updating

I've got stutter with the today page but that's about it. I would expect better but coming from android and windows phone. This is butter

24. vexorg macrumors 6502a

You don't know that. And really bears no relevance to those of us that have found problems in the past. Or are advocating that apple should ignore those with problems as you think they are just a small minority?

As said before, it's firmware for a simple hardware platform, all should behave in a very similar manner.

25. wolfaaron macrumors regular

There are so many bugs and glitches that i did not or rarely experienced on iOS 7 on my 4s. I was expecting my 6 to perform better but the software is in need of a complete surgery because somerhing is not right.