Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anomen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
Hi guys,

First of all: I've tried searching the forums for solutions already, but without luck. If it's already been discussed, my apologies. Please refer me to that thread if that is the case.

I'm currently on a 2009 MBP, 2.53GHZ, 4GB DDR3 running OSX 10.6.6. It's in good health and I've never had any problems with it.

I'm also the proud owner of a 2TB externally powered (as in: non usb-powered) external HD. Up until recently, it's been working flawlessly. Now, not so much. I made the apparent mistake of leaving it in my car for 10 days - might have dipped below 0 degrees celsius at some point, but not into the extremes.

When I plug it into (either) of my USB ports (on any computer, not just my own, I've tried both mac and windows), it doesn't boot. It lights up, starts spinning, but somehow never gets out of "idle" so to speak.

Disc Utility doesn't recognize it, neither does the System Profiler. Basically, nothing happens. At all.

The only information I've been able to find is in the kernel.log:

407520.760 [0x85b9300] The IOUSBFamily is having trouble enumerating a USB device that has been plugged in. It will keep retrying. (Port 1 of Hub at 0x4000000)

Feb 5 10:57:22 xxx-xxxx-macbook-pro kernel[0]: USBF: 407523.753 [0x85b9300] The IOUSBFamily was not able to enumerate a device.

What the bloody hell is that about?

I've been searching the net for this error-message, and the only thing I've been able to find has been regarding Playstations somehow having their power-supply interrupted?

Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Sounds like the PSU or enclosure in the HD has failed. If it's still within the warranty, contact the manufacturer

Anomen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
"Sounds like the PSU or enclosure in the HD has failed. If it's still within the warranty, contact the manufacturer."

Yeah, that seems to be the gist of it... But a: I'm a stupid dunce who hasn't kept his receipts and b: I might not want to hand over the drive to just anyone, considering the contents. *Ahem*.

That aside, is the PSU inside the actual enclosure of the disc, or is it just another word for the transformer that goes into the power outlet in the wall?

My question being - could it help if I got a new transformer w. wire to plug into the drive or is the PSU contained within the drive itself?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
You can just get a new enclosure as 3.5" drives need an external PSU as well. The drive itself should be just fine, thus putting it in a new enclosure should fix the problem.

carreragt7

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I'm having this same error pop up on a 2009 MBP 13". But I don't have anything plugged into the computer.

At the time it froze up and stopped working there may or may not have been a flash drive plugged in. I have the same flash drive and have tried booting with it plugged in and it didn't help.

I was not with the computer when the issue first started, so I am at a loss as to what went wrong and especially how it is supposed to be fixed.

Anyone with information on how to repair a computer with this IOUSBFamily error please chime in, as this is very frustrating.

My friend is supposed to leave for an internship tomorrow and needs a working laptop.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.