iOwn App - Inventory Anything

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by detz, Nov 21, 2008.

1. detz macrumors 65816

iOwn is the inventory management system for the iPhone and iPod Touch. With its versatile attribute system and easy to use yet powerful interface, iOwn can be used to keep track of just about anything. iOwn was designed with a simple goal in mind: to allow the user to create detailed itemized lists of their possessions. From household items that you might want to keep inventory of (for insurance reasons) to detailed information about your rare and valuable collections, iOwn allows to you create and edit an unlimited number of locations, containers and items in one easy to use portable system.

iTunes Link:
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=297245686&mt=8

http://iownapp.com

2. grandmachar2002 macrumors member

grandmachar2002

3. danny_w macrumors 601

Sounds like a great idea and easy to use with the iPhone camera, but what happens when I no longer have an iPhone? How do I transfer my inventory to something more permanent?

4. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Great idea but the thought of entering all that information in via the iPhone keyboard makes me shudder! I see Online backup is a feature "comming soon", however if I was to enter in all that data on the iPhone I would want that feature available from the get go! You should really consider at least a web app to enter in the data or an alternative method like taking pics of barcodes or something!

5. detz thread starter macrumors 65816

Backup/Online viewing should be finished in the next week or two.

It's really not that hard, I've entered my house inventory probably 40 times by now testing! :D I'm in the process of testing the backup, it's in I just want to make sure it works great before I submit it. Uploading images from the iPhone can take a while so wifi will probably be required. A web interface is also in the works but the one thing I'm stumbling on is how to keep everything in sync. In other words, if you update one item on the web and delete it on the phone which one should happen when you update? I'm leaning towards just allowing items to be added via the web interface. Even better I have a method that you can use a browser to view/edit items directly on the phone but I'm not sure which way is better. Testing testing testing... :)

Suggestions are always welcome though, it's important to understand what the user wants. Thanks for the feedback.

6. detz thread starter macrumors 65816

Wow, great feedback guys! I'm really glad I put that feedback form on the website, already I've gotten some great information. Here are the features that will be included an an upcoming release!

- Free online back
    - Reports
    - Search items
    - View/Add items from your computer.

Feel free to post here if you have ideas or you can fill out the form on the website. Thanks again, hope everyone is enjoying the app.

7. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

I'll grant you it looks pretty for what is effectively a database. However I already have HanDBase, with which I can do all you offer and possibly more, given it's full relational capabilities.

8. detz thread starter macrumors 65816

Similar but different. iOwn is targeting more at the average user, sure you and I know what relational databases are but the majority of users don't. For certain tasks HandDBase will excel and for certain tasks iOwn will excel. :) To be honest, I use HandDBase too but for different reasons and it's one of the reasons iOwn exists today because I notice areas it was lacking. ;) That and there is an $8 price difference.

9. detz thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm looking for 5 or so beta testers to test the new and upcoming features(primarily online backup). If you're a current user and want to help out(and get the latest version) send me a PM and I will add you to the beta tester list.

10. Cupra macrumors regular

11. mikizee macrumors member

12. Trinchero macrumors newbie

The dude was quick to comment at the beginning...now I wonder if he's even alive!