ip address but can't surf

Discussion in 'macOS' started by excalibur313, Apr 23, 2008.

1. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

I am at a university and over the past week I've had issues connecting to the internet even when my reception is perfect and I have an ip address. This happens even when I am physically connected. I've noticed that mail works and currently I'm typing to you using firefox within windows in vmware fusion and it is working perfectly. I don't have a firewall setup and the only thing that I did was change my account from an admin to a regular user. I could see it being some corrupt library file, but I'm not sure where to start. Thanks for your help!
    Stephen

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

Have you tried creating a new account to see is the problem is user specific?

3. keithcobbett macrumors member

If you can use VMWare, shut it down. Reboot the computer and see if you can get online. If you can't set the IP Address information manually, including the DNS information. See if that works. If it doesn't, create a second user and see if that user can connect. I've had issues with user profiles doing this exact same thing.

Thanks.

4. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Maybe you have a proxy server set-up in Firefox (or whatever browser) that is blocking you. This happened to me when I switched Universities and the old proxy didn't work at the new location.

5. Cryptic1911 macrumors member

your dns server entry is probably set for wherever you came from

6. scotty588 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (iphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

same problem here. If you look at by t-mobile thread you'll see this is just about the same I have. I think its a issue with leopard since it works in windows.