Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davo03

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2010
hi guys,

so i bought the new macbook pro 13inch in america and brought it back with me to australia. now im haviong a bit of trouble with the internet.
i have a wireless router with 3 other pc (2 desktops, 1 laptop) and a PS3 allready assigned to it. never had a problems allways worked well. now i configured my macbook to join this network and it works and all but eventually cuts out and has been causing IP conflicts with the other systems aswell on that wireless router. it seems they are all running on DHCP so dont realy see why there should be a problem but there is. ive tryed manually setting IP address to the Macbook but that didnt work either.
im no genious with all this so dont realy have much of a clue whats going on so any ideas how i can get all of the machines running smoothly when they are all connected with out ip conflicts and cutting out. I shoudl mention my wireless network is hidden and has a passcode and sometimes my mac forgets it because it has cut out. so any suggestions and help would be great

cheers

also sorry about bad spelling. cant be bothered changing it

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
Berlin
hi,
as you mentioned, if it's using DHCP there shouldn't be IP conflicts. What makes you think that the problem comes from an IP conflict ?

acurafan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
try these: 1) on the wireless AP, check settings and see if your AP has conflict detection (it will ping an ip address prior to giving it out) and enable it;

2) on your mac, go to network and set up another location profile with a static ip address outside of the ip scope (the ip range your AP is providing to your computers). put in manual settings, i.e.: ip addr, subnet mask, gateway, dns...see if those help.

davo03

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2010
hi,
as you mentioned, if it's using DHCP there shouldn't be IP conflicts. What makes you think that the problem comes from an IP conflict ?

well when the pc's crash aswell they say there has been an IP address conflict

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
Berlin
well when the pc's crash aswell they say there has been an IP address conflict
ok, could you check what are the IPs of all your devices ?

In osx, it's in the Preferences/Network/AirPort/Advanced/TCP IP

In Windows XP, right click on your connection in the status bar and Properties I believe.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
hi guys,

so i bought the new macbook pro 13inch in america and brought it back with me to australia. now im haviong a bit of trouble with the internet.
i have a wireless router with 3 other pc (2 desktops, 1 laptop) and a PS3 allready assigned to it. never had a problems allways worked well. now i configured my macbook to join this network and it works and all but eventually cuts out and has been causing IP conflicts with the other systems aswell on that wireless router. it seems they are all running on DHCP so dont realy see why there should be a problem but there is. ive tryed manually setting IP address to the Macbook but that didnt work either.
im no genious with all this so dont realy have much of a clue whats going on so any ideas how i can get all of the machines running smoothly when they are all connected with out ip conflicts and cutting out. I shoudl mention my wireless network is hidden and has a passcode and sometimes my mac forgets it because it has cut out. so any suggestions and help would be great

cheers

also sorry about bad spelling. cant be bothered changing it

DHCP doesn't automatically mean the IP conflicts are avoided. One of the common issues is that the router can be configured to reserve an IP address for certain machines and sometime laptops dropping in and out can hold on to the IP lease far too long without releasing it and renewing it.

You should go to the router's DHCP config page and make sure no computers have reservation that conflict with other reservations. Some router do not do validation. Make sure your router is up to date as well.

In order to help us help you, we need more information. You can take pics of the DHCP page in your router, copy the logs from the router, write down all the ip addresses on (you can probably get this from DHCP client list somewhere on your router), the model and brand of the router as well as firmware version for starters.

bigjobby

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2010
London, UK
also to add, if you have a unit with a static IP address on the network and which is not on the reserve list, the router may not have picked this up and the DHCP might have issued an IP without knowing its already being used.

As already suggested, check your IP configurations on all devices including logs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.