Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AussieStu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
Hi..

Found out my IP Address has been blacklisted as Spam. Found this out by going to Spam-Rats Website.

I changed my router from an current model Airport Time Cap to a 5th Gen Airport Extreme and I can get all access to sites. As soon as I plug back the current model Airport I'm restricted to different sites.
1) How does my router get listed on a spam database?
2) I thought ISPs only gave out IP address.
3) How does swapping router change IP address?

I use my net for PS4 gaming, Apple TV, Netflix, Web Browsing (Banking etc) email.

Spam Rats say "NOTE! If you are NOT an email administrator and don't own or manage your own email server, you should never have to remove yourself from this list. Instead, contact your ISP. It is either a problem only they can fix, or you do NOT have your email client set up correctly. (Try using port 587 with SMTP authentication, or ask your help desk)"

Screen Shot 2016-07-28 at 8.29.06 PM.png

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I just looked at the SPAM blacklists for your IP address and it shows up on 3 iiNet.net.au lists. As the previous reply stated, you need to check with your ISP (iiNet). Many times the SPAM blacklists are not updated even after they have been resolved.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
Yep. Checked this too, looks blocked.

They have a great FAQ to help resolve. First thing:

The first thing to know is: THE PBL IS NOT A BLACKLIST. You are not listed for spamming or for anything you have done. The PBL is simply a list of all of the world's dynamic IP space, i.e: IP ranges normally assigned to ISP broadband customers (DSL, DHCP, PPP, cable, dialup). It is perfectly normal for dynamic IP addresses to be listed on the PBL. In fact all dynamic IP addresses in the world should be on the PBL. Even static IPs which do not send mail should be listed in the PBL.

PBL listings do not prevent you sending email unless your email program is not authenticating properly when it connects to your ISP or to your company's mail server. This can happen if you have forgotten to turn on 'SMTP Authentication' or if you have switched 'SMTP Authentication' off by mistake.

If you are using a normal email program such as Outlook, Entourage, Thunderbird or Apple Mail and you are being blocked by a Spamhaus PBL listing when you try to send email, the reason is simply that YOU NEED TO TURN ON 'SMTP AUTHENTICATION' in your email program's account settings. That will solve the problem for you. See: How do I turn on SMTP Authentication?

AussieStu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2006
Ok thanks everyone.

iiNet has a 60min wait time for Tech support. I have emailed them last night and hoping to hear back soon.
I might just have to call them and go for a shower, watch a TV show and by this time I might actually get someone.
Sales department answer in less than 20sec. Tech support 1 hour.

Anyway thanks again everyone. Ill see how I go.. Really appreciate your answers and time.
Stu

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.