Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amandacub

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2015
Living abroad in Asia, and have been using StrongVPN for over a year through the US. It effectively works on Iphone5s, Iphone6 and Mac Desktop. However, websites still detect my location while the VPN is connected on my MacBook Air. This leads me to believe it is specific to some setting or issue with the MacBook. I am running Yosemite 10.10.4. This occurs in Chrome, Safari and Firefox. Running IP location tests shows my public IP as the local wifi network and not US IP address, but does show DNS server as the VPN routed US address.

Methods I have tried after research:

-Disabling all location services
-Running all traffic through VPN
-Clearing all caches, history, cookies, etc.
-Downloading various add-ons for both Chrome and Firefox to disable WebRTC and blocks scripts (NoScript, WebRTC block)

Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

Kornelis

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2010
Amsterdam, NL
Did you also check on IPv6? It is possible that you also have IPv6 active on your Air. If it is active your Air can also connect through IPv6 and your IPv6 adres might gives away your actual location. This is called IPv6 leakage. Look in the settings of your VPN program if you can switch off IPv6 when the VPN connection is active.

Reactions: amandacub

amandacub

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2015
Thank you! My VPN settings had no option for fully disabling the IPv6, but I was able to select "Local Link Only" from a configuration drop down of Auto, Manual, and Local Link Only". IP tests now show my IP in the U.S. and I can now access site typically blocked here on three different browsers. Thanks for the advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.