IP Address question using a wireless router/network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JSmoove05, Jun 21, 2007.

1. JSmoove05 macrumors 6502

Does anyone if your IP address changes if you change to a different router or is that totaly based on a the ISP. How does you IP address change?? Like for example if im using mY MBP connected to my wirless linksys router on my pc. Is my ip address the same as my PC on my MBP or is it different. If i were to get the airport extreme does my Ip address. Im sorry for these noob questions but its something I need to know thanks again.

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

ALL of this depends on your ISP, your router settings and all.

However, the following is most likely to be true:
    1. your external IP address will change every time you connect, because you have to explicitly want a static IP that doesn't change, you will pay extra for it, and if you were getting it, you'd know the answer to that question.

2. your router will assign private addresses (most likely, and these generally are 192.168.x.x or 17.x.x.x) to all your PCs, MBPs and whatever. How it does this depends on how it's set up. Sometimes the same private IP address sticks to one computer based on something that doesn't change like the MAC address of the networking hardware, and sometimes it just changes every time that computer connects to the router. This is really up to the router settings.

The external IP for all computers is most likely going to be the same. The internal private IP cannot be the same between two computers.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Your router (probably) uses DHCP and NAT to assign internal IP addresses to computers in your LAN. For example, my router has assigned my iMac the address 10.0.1.2 and my MacBook 10.0.1.3. ...Then the router uses the external IP address assigned by the ISP to give access to the internet to my computers.

So, to answer your question, your external IP address may or may not change when you switch routers depending on your ISP. ...Your internal IP addresses may change depending on the addressing scheme of the old router, and the addressing scheme of the new router.

4. Hard-Hat-Mac macrumors regular

Hi all this is great information. I was wondering if you could then explain how to use a router/LAN to transfer files from my PC to MBP. I am really new to the whole networking and I'm not sure which IP address to use. I need some help on these directions. Specifically Number 3. How do I know my Server name and share name?

To move files by connecting your Mac to your PC on the same network:

1. Make sure that both computers are turned on and connected to the Internet.
    2. In the Finder on your Mac, choose Connect to Server from the Go menu to open the window.
    3. Type your PC's network address in the Server Address text box using this format: smb://ServerName/ShareName, or select the name of your PC in this window (if it appears).
    4. Click Connect.
    5. Enter your PC's workgroup name, your user name, and your password when prompted, then select the volume or folder you wish to access.
    6. Your PC volume should appear on your Mac Desktop.
    7. Open the volume and drag and drop files directly from it to anywhere on your Mac.
    8. When finished, drag your PC volume to the Trash to unmount it.