IP address question

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Yuck Mouth, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Yuck Mouth macrumors member

Can the IP address on your Touch change from one day to the next? I couldn't login to my through FTP and checked the IP address and it had changed.

2. Tibwolf macrumors newbie

I'm not certain, but I believe that it is dependent on what network you are currently on.

Ex. each hotspot would yield a different ip, but the ip would be consistent per spot.

If that makes any sense

3. phoenix.stu macrumors member

I noticed that as well just last night.

My address changed from 10.0.2.3 to 10.0.2.2.

The only explanation that I have is that I just upgraded to Leopard. I used it before the upgrade and it was the original and now that I have upgraded it is now the latter of the addresses.

Strange.

4. Yuck Mouth thread starter macrumors member

I can see how it would change from network to network. This was on my home network.

5. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

Mine changed a couple of days ago too. Same home network and didn't upgrade to Leopard or anything either. First time that ever happened though....and a whole bunch of third part stuff stopped working, lost Safari, Youtube bookmarks too.

6. dellavoce macrumors regular

I had a similar problem. I changed routers on my home network. It changed the ip address and I haven't been able to access my touch through FTP since

7. kinchee87 macrumors regular

kinchee87

Your IP address will change if you are using DCHP to handle the assignment of an IP address to your iPod Touch.

To get a static IP address:
    • Go to Settings > Wi-Fi
    • Then tap on the blue (>) symbol after the name of the wi-fi network you want to connect to.
    • Tap the button Static.
    • Give your iPod Touch it's own IP Address, Subnet Mask, Router and DNS.
    That's all

8. planetbeing macrumors member

Hah, that's Deep Magick. Next thing you know, they'll be coming back here with more problems after they configure those settings incorrectly.

There is a way to set up (most) wireless routers to always assign an IP to a particular machine. It's probably under the DHCP settings in the router configuration. Try that: if you do it properly, you'll run into less potential problems than using a static configuration.

9. kinchee87 macrumors regular

kinchee87

Key phrase you used in your solution is if you do it properly.

If someone doesn't know how to set up a static IP address then I wouldn't think they'd be able to browse to their router and change the correct settings. If they mess up the static ip address via the iPod Touch then the worst case scenario would be that they can't connect to their wi-fi network, rather than all their wi-fi devices being unable to connect.

Basically, with your iPod Touch connected to the wi-fi by DHCP, copy down all the numbers you see (IP Address, Subnet Mask, Router and DNS). Then tap the Static button and just enter those numbers in. All done. If you've transposed the numbers correctly, then it should connect.

10. hecks macrumors regular

Wow, that really is the worst solution. It's way easier to change router settings, it usually only takes one click on the 'always use this address' button or similar. This is just very basic home network management.

Failing that, it's a simple matter to change the IP in the SFTP/SSH program used to connect to the iPod when it gets a new one. Takes 5 seconds to change one digit in the address.

11. cmuench macrumors member

I'm gonna have to strongly recomend against doing this. If you give your touch an ip address in the dhcp range and then dhcp hands the ip out to another devie you will have issues. Therefore I recomend that you figured out how to login to your router and assign static ips through DHCP via MAC address's