IP address reservation help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bgalizio, Jan 17, 2008.

1. bgalizio macrumors member

IP address question for you guys. I have my router (Netgear) configured to automatically assign an IP address via DHCP. I then have certain IPs reserved for specific computers. All components are connected wirelessly. After I wake my iMac from sleep (overnight or after work), the IP address always changes from the reserved one to the next open address. How I can stop that? This never happened with Tiger, only since I moved to Leopard.

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

So, how did you do this reservation you speak of? Does your router allow you to tie a MAC to an IP?

You might try setting up a static IP on the imac, and use an address out of the DHCP range. Seems, thought, that I have tried this and using static IPs wirelessly (at least with my router) didn't work very reliably.

3. bgalizio thread starter macrumors member

Yes, the router allows you to assign an IP based on the MAC address.

I'll try setting up the static IP tonight and see if that works.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I do this for all of my Macs, and it's worked perfectly from Panther up through Leopard.

5. bgalizio thread starter macrumors member

Do I have to do anything special there? ie: keep the router as a DHCP server, but enter everything manually on the Mac (DNS server, etc.).

Thanks for the help!

6. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

Most routers usually reserve xxx.xxx.xxx.2 - xxx.xxx.xxx.255 for DHCP.

I doubt you'll ever have more than 250 computers connected to your router, so what I recommend is to go into the netwrok section of system preferences and set up a static IP address using your Mac. (as opposed to your router)

Click advance (under Airport) then TCP/IP tab.
    Give your Mac an IP address with the last number being something like 250.

That should work fine. It'll mean that if you ever change routers, your Mac will still have the same IP address.

7. bgalizio thread starter macrumors member

I set up a static IP and it seems to be working fine. Thanks guys!

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You don't need to assign static IP on your Mac, in fact, the only settings that should be changed is the router.

Set up router to assign a local IP to a MAC address (xx:xx:xx:...) and your router should do the work even after sleep/wake. Works fine on D-Link and Linksys (I avoid netgear, they are cheap but don't work so well).

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I've never seen IP reservation work properly on a Netgear router, I think it's a bug in their firmware