IP Address

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 420benz, Jan 22, 2017.

1. 420benz macrumors 6502

420benz

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Easiest way is System Preferences - Network. Select Wireless or Ethernet or whatever you're using, should be up in the top right.

3. 420benz thread starter macrumors 6502

420benz

Got it Thanks
    --- Post Merged, Jan 22, 2017 ---
    --- Post Merged, Jan 22, 2017 ---
    Will this address be the same for my Imac and droid phone?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you do what NMS mentioned, that will give you your local, internal IP issued by your router. But if you want your public facing "real" IP address, you can just go to one of the many sites like this link that will show it to you.

http://www.ipchicken.com

Any devices in your house that are using the same router will all be in this same IP address.

5. 420benz thread starter macrumors 6502

420benz

6. jusacruiser macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

If I am setting up a remote desktop control app.....do I use the internal router IP or the "real" IP Address?

Also......I went to IP Chicken......is that IP Address in Big Blue Letters my "real" IP address?

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I'm pretty sure that for a remote connection, you would need both that "real" IP address, as displayed, and the port number listed in the advanced section.

8. jusacruiser macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

Ok Thanks.....and by the way, do you have any favorite remote desktop application for the MacBook Pro?

9. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

erm... maybe.
    The only one that I have used, Apple Remote Desktop. But, I haven't needed that for 6 or 7 years, so I don't know if it is still worth the money.
    You can search for Remote Desktop at the App Store, with a few choices showing up.
    Or, maybe someone else will chime in here.

Do you need more than Apple's built-in screen sharing?

10. jusacruiser macrumors 6502

jusacruiser

No. Just something basic. My MacBook is really old and has slowed to a crawl, so to tide me over, I figured I would just use my iPhone 7 Plus for a few months until I get my new MacBookPro.

11. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I don't know how to connect to a Mac from an iPhone, but I bet you can google that pretty easily.
    maybe THIS.

Which MBPro do you have (year?) 2010, 11, 2012 MBPro can really see an improvement by swapping out a spinning hard drive to an SSD - and perhaps give you another couple of years on your present system. maybe... :D