IP Address

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iMacBook, Aug 19, 2007.

1. iMacBook macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

Is it me, or do the IP addresses on my MacBook change once in a while? That very last number have gone from 2, all the way up to 6.

Is that normal?

2. Jestered macrumors 6502

If you are not using a static ip address, then yes it will change. It will change every time you connect to the network depending on how many other computers are currently connected.

I am assuming that you are talking about the IP address that your computer is assigned by your router...

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It depends on what kind of connection you have from your provider. Most regular users have dynamic IPs from their ISPs, so they do change once in awhile. So yes, it's completely normal.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Its normal for your IP address to change, you can make it static if you like. Although you wouldn't gain much by doing that.

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Agreed. Absolutely normal. Having a static IP comes in handy when you start accessing your computer from other locations (FTP, SSH, VNC, etc.). But sounds like that that isn't the case.

6. iMacBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Refresh what? The IP address? Or do you mean change it manually? Refreshing would be to push the Renew DHCP License button. To change it manually select DHCP Manually in the drop down menu.

8. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Yes, System Preferences>Network>TCP/IP>Renew DHCP Lease. That should do it for you.

9. bloodycape macrumors 65816

Just out of curiosity how would you make your IP static with out talking to your ISP? Or is this how you do it?

10. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

More so, if you use a router, then you can have it assign a certain IP address always. I think this is what they were referring to.

11. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

It differs from router to router, although using the router I have it was a setting under the advanced tab. Now the IP address on my MacBook Pro is static.

12. bloodycape macrumors 65816

Are you using a 2Wire router? I know AT&T(SoCal) give these out.

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

To be clear, when you are setting the IP address of a Mac to "Manual", the address is static only in relationship to the router, which is issuing an internal, protected IP address range within your household network. The Cable or DSL modem is issuing an 'real' IP address, usually dynamic, to the router, so the outsideworld IP address is still subject to change as often as the ISP wants.

If you have your Mac connected directly to a Cable/DSL modem, and you change the IP to Manual in hopes of entering your own static IP, then your Internet connection will stop working, if not immediately, then as soon as the ISP issues a new IP to the modem.