IP address?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Touchy, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Touchy macrumors regular

How do you fine the IP address of an iPod touch unit. I ask as I have installed MacAfee on my PC and it detects "an intruder" with a certain IP address listed and want to know if it is the iPod touch that it is referencing. Thanks.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Go to Settings->Wi-Fi, then tap the blue > sign towards the right end of the network name. In the DHCP tab the first field should be the IP address. Generally the IP address will be different each time you connect to the network.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

iPod Touch > Settings > Wi-Fi > The little white arrow in the blue circle on the right from your network >

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. dbell macrumors member

That's only going to give you the IP given by the DHCP server on the AP. If you want the actual public IP try something like http://www.iplocationfinder.com

5. Touchy thread starter macrumors regular

Hey thanks, lo and behold it was my iPod showing on the wireless network. So I have unmarked it as an "intruder". That's a relief.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

However, the next time you connect your iPod, you might get a different IP address; that's the nature of DHCP.

7. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

In response to that, if your router allows you to customize its DHCP configuration, you can set aside a range of internal IP addresses which it will never assign to anybody.

Then, on your iPod touch, configure it so that whenever it connects to that particular WiFi router, it uses a static address instead of a DHCP address.

You can reach that configuration option by tapping the "Static" button as seen in the 3rd image in spinnerly's post. Tap the IP Address field on the that screen, and fill in one of the reserved IP addresses you had configured in the router.