IP blockers, worth it? Worried about privacy.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 3v0, Jul 12, 2010.

1. 3v0 macrumors member

So I was on omegle since I was bored and I know most of it is fake but a lot of the ppl say they are tracking ur IP on there. This has kinda been making me nervous. Is there a way to prevent this or to hide it from people? I know I can download an IP blocker but I heard it can mess with your internet service provider and ****.

What is the best way block it and stay safe?

I just wanna make sure I do what I can to prevent my computer from being hacked. Today I got weird instant message on AIM from a weird numerical screen name telling me to click a link. I obviously didnt and was told it was a PC virus by a friend. How did that even get send to me in the first place?!

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Don't use Omegle perhaps? :p

I've used omegle and I haven't been hacked. Its quite hard to do that to Macs anyway.

3. brandon.8602 macrumors member

technically your IP address is public information. being tracked doesn't do any harm to you as long as you aren't doing anything illegal, with the mass of IP addresses out there because of the mass amount of people with internet I'm sure you aren't being singled out. Spam is spam and getting it is inevitable I'm afraid. If you are still bothered by people having your IP address then there are plenty of free options around the internet that are usually made for p2p users such as Peer Guardian.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

You can't really "block" your IP address. It is needed to connect to the internet.

Think of your IP address as your house address. You can't really get mail without giving out your address. (Ignore P.O. boxes and such.) No one would know where to send it to.

You can use a proxy server. You connect to the proxy server, then it downloads the information you want, and then sends it to you.

Using the house address example, a proxy is like like having a package sent to a friend and them sending it to you. The original sender doesn't know where the package went, but a little investigation work and someone could figure it out.

Basically, any thing you do to block your IP address will result in one of two possible outcomes:
    1. Anyone that wants to track you will still be able to.
    2. You won't be able to connect the internet.