IP Camera Setup Problems (Airport Extreme)

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by iKokomo, Aug 20, 2016.

1. iKokomo, Aug 20, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2016

iKokomo macrumors newbie

Ok, we have a weird situation where we live. The internet comes into the main building and then we all have our routers (I have Airport Extreme) and we connect into that internet. I do have the main IP address (found via online search) for the entire complex.

*Edit - The router says it is in Double NAT mode

Now when I try to hook up my IP camera I followed all the directions for NAT port forwarding but when I look at my IP address under in Airport utility under the IPv4 it gives me a local internal 10.0.??? not my external IP address.

No matter what I do, I can't open the correct ports so I can see my camera when disconnected from my home router.

How can I fix this?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

3. Sbarnesvta macrumors newbie

It sounds like you are behind a second router from the hence the double NAT. Basically the building has a router and you are adding a second router behind it hence the double NAT.

We run into this all the time when trying to connect your own router to an ISP Router (Not Modem), most of the time you can put the main router/modem in bridge mode and let your own router handle everything, but it doesn't sound like you have this option in your situation.

Either way you need access to the main router for the building or talk to someone who manages it to forward the ports you need for your IP address through the main router.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Your IP camera is going to get a local 10.0.x IP since it is behind the AirPort. That is the correct behavior. You cannot have the AirPort behind another router and have port forwarding work on the AirPort. You need to either place the main router into bridge mode, place your AirPort into bridge mode, or connect the camera right to the main router and port forward to it from there.

5. Undecided macrumors 6502a

I'm not clear on what you're actually trying to do. Are you trying to access your camera remotely, while you are away from home?

It sounds like your setup is:

(internet) ---> modem ---> building router ---> your router ----> your devices

I would think that you could have DHCP and NAT on your router too, provided you treat the building router as the internet. That is, if your router is connected to the building router over your router's WAN port, it should work fine - though you may have to choose a different subnet. In other words, if the building router gives your router an IP address of 192.168.x.x, then your router should be set to give your devices IP addresses with 10.0.x.x. (and your router would then have an IP address of 192.168.x.x and 10.0.x.x.)

As others have noted, though, if you don't have access to the building router's NAT settings, you're not going to be able to contact your camera (or your router) from the outside.

But, depending on what you're trying to accomplish, there may be other ways. For example, if you have another computer running at home, you could access that without having to change any port settings on any router, such as by using TeamViewer. And you could view the camera remotely via that computer. It's a bit roundabout but would work.