IP Cameras for mac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by IphoneD09, Oct 22, 2010.

1. IphoneD09 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I'm about to pull my hair out...
    I'm looking for a network camera which can be connected directly to a modem.
    A camera which can be controlled (pan/tilt) and viewed through a browser or on an iPad/iPhone. Preferably nightvision, motiondetection and auto upload to a ftp server upon detection.
    I noticed 99% of the cameras don't support mac!?
    I'm hoping to spend around $400, don't know if this is realistic.
    Can anyone recommend a good camera and software to get the job done?
    Thanks!

2. IphoneD09 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I've got a Sharx Wireless IP camera and a FOSCAM Wireless IP camera. I use Evocam and Security Spy to control them.

The Sharx was easier to setup and has a great picture when pointed indoors or out a window, but doesn't do pan/tilt and was about $280. I didn't buy the IR nightvision model which adds more $$. You can use the iPhone to view it (after setting up the proper port forwarding).

The FOSCAM does pan/tilt and was only about $85. It's a little harder to setup and isn't very good for pointing out a window (picture gets too washed out). It works well indoors and it has IR night vision that works very well. I just got it working yesterday and haven't set up all the port forwarding needed to view on an iPhone yet, so not sure how easy it'll be to get working.

4. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

This is all very interesting, and useful! Please if anyone has any additional experiences with these cameras it would be really helpful. I just purchased a new home and am considering adding cameras to a few locations around the house. Front Door, Back Door, Pool, Garage, and then maybe one looking into the wilderness park. But I don't want to spend a fortune, and I do want to get the feed back to my computer so I can record it if I chose too.

5. IphoneD09 thread starter macrumors newbie

Which of the two has the best picture in your opinion? And how did you configure the Foscam?
    Do you need Paralell desktop to configure it under windows?

6. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

The Sharx has the better picture, but it also cost 3x more. The Sharx IR nightvision model was even more $, so I don''t know how well it compares in darkness to the Foscam.

I configured the Foscam using OS X. It comes with both PC and Mac software on the CD in the package...however, the CD is a "mini" CD that won't work in a slot-drive iMac! You can also get the software off the foscam website.

7. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I just purchased a Panasonic BL-C230A, Wireless internet security camera. I will let you know how it works once I get it up an running.

8. IphoneD09 thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, please do. I still haven't made up my mind....

9. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Just a FYI. I purchased it from Amazon for $199 but they have the version without the pan and tilt features for $99. I'm kinda debating if I should keep it or not and just get 2 fixed angle cameras.

10. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

So far the camera is OK. I had some problem getting it up and running on the WiFi network, I had to allow it onto the network and the MAC address on the device is only for the wired connection. To read the manual you need a PC because there are only Windows tools.

The quality of the video is OK the lowlight capabilities are down right bad. The control and stuff is good. I haven't determined if I am going to keep it yet or not. As I figure out more, I'll update more information.

11. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I've given up on the camera. For $200 I was expecting too much. It kept shutting itself down and going into low power mode; only way to wake it up was to unplug it and plug it back in. Then it would drop off of the WiFi; and finally just went to an error state.

Didn't feel like spending any time to debug it further, the night vision was just lousy. So back it goes.