IP configuration warning ....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by marbles, Jun 6, 2009.

1. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Hi, I've two Macs, a Mini and a Macbook.....

I've had no issues with wireless at all , but today when using my Macbook to connect to my network for the first time, I had a message pop up that I've never seen before and I'm not sure why .

see attachment.

I checked the MAC address of my mini and it is not the one described in the warning message .
    I changed my wireless password immediately and do so regularly anyway ( weekly basis ) but the machine with the unknown [to me] MAC address is still connected when I look in the Attached Devices info pane in my router .

quite odd me thinks or a very fast wireless hacker.
    any ideas ?.

Help always appreciated.
    ~d

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Is your MacBook using that MAC address?

You could use IP Scanner, to see what IPs and how many are connected to your network.

3. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

no no , sorry I should have said , it isnt the Macbooks address either .

thanks

~d

*edit , nothing showing now using IP scanner except for me and the router [ thank for the advice mate, I appreciate it] bit of a weird one this eh

4. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

5. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

I've had this problem before but nothing malicious ever happened...I never did figure out what was happening, though.

6. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Looks like an IP conflict to me, 2 computers on the same network trying to use the same IP.

Static IP fixes that.

Check the MAC Address of the wireless adaptor on both macs to see if one of them matches, and also any device with wifi such as an ipod Touch that you may have on your network. If the computer is not yours, then someone must have access to your network in which case you should setup MAC Address filters, disable SSID Broadcast, change the SSID (network name), and maybe add some WEP encryption.

7. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I just took a better look at the screen shot. . the IP Address is in use by the router is what it says (apparently).

192.168.0.1 should be the gateway (router) address. Check the Router's MAC Address to see if it matches. I am unsure as to why it would say that, must be some type of DHCP error. Do you have 2 routers hooked up?