IP over Firewire, Mac to PC and Viceversa

Discussion in 'macOS' started by latintrpt, Aug 1, 2007.

1. latintrpt macrumors member

Mac: MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.4
    PC: Custom built PC, Windows XP SP2 (firewall disabled)

Hey guys, i'm trying to connect both my PC and Mac to do IP over firewire. I have firewire on my PC and obviously firewire 400 on my Mac. The cable is connected to both the Mac and the PC. I tried to configure this both ways, first by setting up a manual IP on both machines and by DHCP. I have enabled sharing on my PC's harddrive and have enabled sharing on the Mac. First, when accessing the files from my PC to Mac, it works just fine, the speeds are great and everything works as should be. The problem starts when I try to connect to my PC from my Mac. I go to connect to server and put in the IP address of the PC. I press connect and it is able to connect fine to the shared drive. The problem is that when i open certain folders, the finder goes non-responsive and i get the spinning wheel on the Mac. The only way to kill it is by going through activity monitor and killing the process. Am I doing something wrong here? Any alternatives?
    Thanks

2. volvoben macrumors 6502

I used this guide a while back to satisfy my curiosity

http://lifehacker.com/software/netw...-one-wire-network-ip-over-firewire-173973.php

But it appears you're past these setup instructions and are only having trouble with particular folders. Do you have the same trouble when accessing these folders through ethernet? I'm just wondering if there's something in them that's causing the issues (like when i look at mac documents with "/"s in them in windows it gets angry).

If changing around the settings for the shares (permissions and such) on the windows box doesn't help, I'd try random measures such as rebooting, changing firewire ports, cables, disabling/reenabling cards, all that fun stuff. I'd think though, since you say it's only specific folders, that it has something to do with the contents or permissions of those folders.