IP question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by neo179neo, Sep 10, 2012.

1. neo179neo macrumors regular

Hey guys,

Random Q, im being sent spam and being signed up for lots of stuff to my work email, i think i know who's doing it, my IT support are trying to trace the ip but what if the person has changed there ip address since? Would they still be able to trace it to the person?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No. Also, the IP could be spoofed, hidden by a proxy server, or be from an internet cafe or other WiFi hotspot or other location, so finding the person may be impossible.

3. neo179neo thread starter macrumors regular

So if they originally signed up for stuff for me from there house, but then changed there IP address they wouldnt be able to trace them from the old one?

Is there no other way to trace someone?

4. mfram macrumors 65816

Not without non-public information from the ISP where the data came from.

5. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Only law enforcement can trace IP addresses down to a specific person, and even then a spammer is likely to be masking it somehow. Anyone can hide their IP using a proxy or VPN, it's very easy.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not impossible, but highly unlikely unless they use the same location repeatedly and you have a court order.

7. neo179neo thread starter macrumors regular

So unless i report it to the police, then its pretty much impossible?

----------

Can they not do it off the MAC address or the computer name?

8. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Getting the police to actually do anything about it would be very difficult.

No, the MAC address cannot be used to track a computer.

9. neo179neo thread starter macrumors regular

Why wouldnt the police do any thing? Im getting dogdy emails sent to my work, i feel like im being harassed!

What if they got his computer couldnt they find out then?

10. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

To be honest the Police lack the necessary resources to do anything much about this sort of problem, if no real 'crime' has been committed, or you've not suffered any financial loss.

I see you're in Nottingham? (me too!) Nottinghamshire Constabulary have lost 13% of their frontline workforce in the last two years (i.e. 'real' Policemen) due to Government cuts, and this has led to a reduction in the provision of some services, and this includes non-violent offences like this.

You can report it to the Police, but they will see it as a non-urgent issue and may not be able, or willing to help.

It's possibly worth a call to them on the non-emergency Police number (101) and ask their advice.

11. neo179neo thread starter macrumors regular

So lets say this guy was doing all this from home, and his ip address was xxx, if he manages to change is ip to xxy, would xxx then get given to someone else?

And if so if my it could trace the xxx ip would it take them to the new location?

Yep im also from notts!

12. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

As someone who lives in the UK, I think this is a good time to start up that pyramid scheme... ;)

If you reset your router you'll get assigned a new IP and your old one will be assigned to someone else, but that's not really a way to hide your identity. Someone sending out spam e-mails will likely be using a proxy or VPN which would get an IP from the proxy or VPN provider. A good VPN won't keep logs so, odds are, you can't trace the guy anyway.

Can't you just change your password and be done with it? There's no reason to allow him to continue sending out spam from your account.

Not if he's using a proxy or VPN.