IP Thermostat with App suggestion

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PracticalMac, Feb 13, 2012.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

2. cynics macrumors G4

A former apple employee one the designers of the iPod and such left apple and started his own company.

The brand is call 'Nest' dubbed the learning thermostat. Supposedly it automatically learns your schedule by motion and set points.

Anyway I HEARD there is an app to also control it remotely but I have no experience with it so do your research first.

[​IMG]

www.nest.com

3. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Problem is its WiFi.

I am insisting on wired, am emailing them.

4. cynics macrumors G4

You want the remote control function to be hard wired or the low voltage control back to the hvac equipment?

5. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Remote control, that is internet access. It will be wired into the existing AC control wire.

6. calvy macrumors 65816

The PROBLEM with the Nest is that you can't buy it right now actually. But i'm on the waiting list, I want one.

7. tkljr macrumors newbie

8. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

From what I can tell the answer is nothing. Nothing is good which is why everyone was excited about the Nest. This is apparently an industry that stopped competing amongst themselves several decades ago.

If the Nest doesn't fill your needs then you may be totally out of luck. You're the guy stranded on a desert island and you just turned away the first rescue ship to come by in years.

It may be several more years before you see another.

Additionally, you should probably read this:
    http://www.marco.org/2011/12/17/nest-incompatibility-without-c-wire

and this follow-up:
    http://www.marco.org/2012/03/03/honeywell-thermostat-pulse

Even if you don't buy the Nest I'm assuming that information is useful to you in your shopping.

10. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I like the Nest unit but I have 4 cooling systems with 4 thermostats in my house. That is over $1000 in thermostats. Will it allow me to control all 4 units from my pador iPhone?

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

12. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Not everyone needs all the functionality of the Nest. If you're just looking for remote monitoring/control/scheduling then take a look at ZWave thermostats. However, I'm not aware of any that are hard wired.

13. marcoVU macrumors newbie

I have the Trane Z-Wave thermostat and love it more than I can tell you. Works beautifully through any number of apps and a browser. The only thing is that you need a Z-Wave controller. I opted for the Vera from Micasaverde. Thing connects via Ethernet cable to my router where the modem is in my basement. Each Z-Wave device acts as a relay for any other. Really fantastic technology. I have installed tons of switches, door locks, lights and energy monitoring outlets. All works flawlessly.

14. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I have a SchlageLink thermostat(and lock/cameras/outlets/lights), but I hate the monthly fee. The thermostat is made by Trane, I'd love to set it up with a Z-Wave controller if I can lose the monthly fee. Any idea if I can? Or a good place to research these?

15. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

There are a few wired IP thermostats, like this one.

It is surprising how small selection of smart thermostats there are, worse it the software for them.

Worse is water heaters! As in NONE.
    In Japan they are fantastic! Set the temp, hit a button, in 15 min a tub full of hot water!

16. cynics macrumors G4

Tankless water heaters? Ive had one for a few years now. Controller is in the bathroom and I set the gallons and temp and it fills the tub and stops. Made by Rinnai. I think the are made in Japan lol.

17. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

In Japan the tubs are fantastic too. Their tubs are so deep. Though, Japanese people usually shower, then use the tub for soaking/relaxing.

18. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

About ten years ago I was working on an electronic kit version. Still a project that I give consideration to every now and then. Too radical ten years ago as it was designed to be controlled via an internet browser and minimal if any control on the wall.

19. RenoG macrumors 65816

Exactly, and why all the the ones on the market still look like they were designed between 1985-95. The market needs the Nest (real competition) something bad to get those old foggies at Honeywell back in the design lab.

20. marcoVU macrumors newbie

I hate to pay a monthly fee to control my house lights, locks and thermostat. I pay enough for other things like a security system.

To answer your question, you can buy a controller and the best one I found is the Vera http://micasaverde.com/vera-3.php. I have Vera 2, but basically same functions.

Within a half hour of plugging this piece in, I could control my thermostat from my phone, internet or app. The initial investment ($300) is a nice chunk, but then YOU run your system and have access to everything without a fee. I have my lights, outlets, locks and cameras all on the system with no problems, minus the occasional guest turning off a floor lamp in the guest bedroom by not using the switch on the wall, but the foot switch on the lamp. At that point, I have to step on the switch again.

Also, I heard the schlage locks unlock the deadbolt no problem, but do not lock the deadbolt. Is that true? That's the only reason I opted for the Kwikset. Locking and unlocking is motorized remotely.

21. Bag302 macrumors regular

I've had the Nest for a couple of months and am happy with it. Very easy to use and intuitive.

I went cheap the first time with the 3M Filtrete but the install was a PITA. Needed a C-Wire.

The Nest was up and running within 15 minutes.