IP4 3G FaceTime

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by inott, Jun 25, 2010.

1. inott macrumors member

Once the jailbreak for my shiny new iPhone is released, I'm going to install my favorite, 3G unrestrictor. My question is will AT&T's pipe be fat enough to handle FaceTime, or another video chat app?

2. Hexxeh macrumors member

I've no idea about AT&T, but I use my iPad as a mobile hotspot while I'm at college to keep my laptop connected regardless of their crappy WiFi. Today, I connected my iPhone to it and tried a FaceTime call, and it worked beautifully. The iPad is connected via Three UK.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Once its hacked it should work fine over 3G.
    Other phones have been able to do it over 3G for years.

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Well, that's a very different protocol. You can't compare GSM video and FaceTime. Still, MuscleNerd has indicated he's going to work on hacking it to work over 3G, so it should be doable.

5. inott thread starter macrumors member

What and where are you referring to?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, I dont see why it wouldnt work.
    It would kick ass when you can facetime over 3G:D

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

He tweeted it the day of the announcement, and I've read a few things in other places.

8. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

From the way it looks the way facetime looks for wifi is different from the way other apps do so 3G unrestrictor might not work with it right away if at all.

9. Hexxeh macrumors member

There's still the problem that most people don't have unlimited data on their iPhone 4 and so won't be able to make too much use of FaceTime over 3G. The networks saw this coming, I'd think.

When it does launch on 3G, it'll probably not come out of your data allowance and they'll bill it separately. Kind of like how you get included minutes and texts, you'll get FaceTime minutes. Just my prediction.

10. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Someone needs to do some tests on what kind of bandwidth it's using. With cellular it might be a bigger problem with latency then it is bandwidth..