Ip4 3G reception worse than 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Myzhi, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

In 2 places, my Ip4 keeps timing out while trying to speedtest, but my old 3GS was getting 2000~ and 1000~ kbps speeds. Thought Ip4 was suppose to get better reception? When I do get 3G, it seems to normal speed. Ooh, I am running with belkin vue case if matters anything.

2. Surely Guest

Surely

My iP4 gets better reception that my 3GS did.

*onto the next disposable thread*

3. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

My iP4 gets the same reception as my 3GS did.

There, now we have one of every possibility!

4. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

better

also I've tried the death grip in about 20 different locations ( sylmar california all the way down to carlsbad) and its never dropped more than 1 bar

people just exaggerate

5. Myzhi thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am asking a serious question. Wondering if I need to get a replacement or not. Other than this and other known issue, I am pretty happy with the phone. I don't need any smart ass rude comments.

6. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

That's cool.

You can try getting a replacement. If the issue still exists it's likely just you.

7. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Realize that having 2 bars versus 3 or 4 doesn't mean that your phone won't function anymore.

I'm also assuming that your old 3GS is running the latest firmware with the updated algorithm.

8. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I have The same or worse reception than on my 3G with my iPhone 4. I live in a good AT&T area so it hasn't effected me much outside of my house (though at my house I lose all reception if I touch the left seam and even with a case I lose connectivity even though my phone still shows 1 bar). You could try a different phone but I have had three now and they've been pretty much the same, except the first one I had was really bad.

Edit: forgot to add that even though reception is worse, my data speeds have been better as long as I have more than one bar, though at one bar the speed really drops off. Also I'm coming from a 3G, not a 3GS.

9. Myzhi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Believe, both phones had full bars, using case since day 1 with Ip4 and havent notice grip of death, while I was testing then in each hand. Thought bars and 3G/Edge represent different things? Or, I am totally wrong?

My old 3GS still on 3.0 with 4.26 baseband.

10. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Your post is quite difficult to decipher. You can't compare one phone's coverage on Edge with another's coverage on 3G. You might for instance have 2 bars of coverage on your iPhone 4 while it's on Edge, but once you switch to 3G you might see your bars raise or lower.

The algorithm that is used to display the amount of bars was recently changed in the latest firmware update, so if you've updated the iPhone 4 to it and haven't updated the 3G you will see flawed results.

11. InfinitiG macrumors 6502

12. Myzhi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ip4 4.0
    3GS 3.0

They should both be using same bar algorithm because only last update supposley fix them. I haven't updated to it on either phone.

And, I am talking about 3G data reception. I have no issues with voice communication. No drop calls or anything.

13. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

3G isn't only data, it's also voice. This is what allows you to surf the web while you're on a call, which isn't possible on Edge.