IP4 camera and lighting conditions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jasonforisrael, Sep 5, 2010.

1. jasonforisrael macrumors regular

My IP4 doesn't seem to respond very well to different lighting situations. It obviously has the green blob effect that's been well discussed when under certain bulbs, but it also appears very orange when taking pictures in a room that is a little dim and using a couple incandescent lamps. When I try the flash in the dim conditions the image appears very grainy and over exposed.

Just wondering if others experience similar issues or if there may be an issue with my cameras ability to adjust.

2. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

I have the yellow effect in low lighting. In the forum search bar (Top right corner) type in iP4 camera issues or try MRoogle for the same issues. Lots of great input on the subject. Good luck!

3. vertigo235 macrumors 6502

4.1 improves this a lot...

I wont say it is completely gone but it's definitely better.

4. azhava macrumors regular

The orange cast under incandescent lights has to do with the color temperature and "white balance". Many cameras have different white balance settings available which compensate for the different color casts from various light sources (fluorescent imparts a greenish tinge, incandescent is orange, open shade is bluish, etc.). When using a flash, if it's not powerful enough to overpower the ambient (room) lighting, it introduces a light source of a different color temperature, and mixes things up further. Most camera flashes are balanced at around 5500K (color temperature in degrees Kelvin), while incandescent light can be in the 2000-3000K range. I'm not sure what the color temp of the LED flash on the iPhone is, as I've never seen any specs on it.

Having such a small flash so close to the lens makes two different problems - the light source is very small and harsh, and it falls off very quickly - so things close to the flash will be blown out, but things a bit further away receive very little light.

As far as the "grain" goes, I'm guessing that the iPhone's camera has some sort of auto-ISO adjustment. In simple terms, it amplifies the light at the sensor in an attempt to brighten up your images shot in low light (similar to turning up the volume knob on your radio), and a by-product of that is "noise" or "grain". Not much you can do about it except run your images through some sort of noise reduction software afterward.

5. jasonforisrael thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, I was just checking to see if my issues were par for the course.

I've heard great things about the camera, but haven't had great experiences with it honestly. Although I haven't taken many outdoor shots, I would expect a camera to perform well indoors as well.