iP4 Compass interference?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lionheartednyhc, Aug 9, 2010.

1. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Does anyone else have this issue? My compass is almost unusable because it almost ALWAYS says it has interference no matter where I am.

2. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I've tested the compass in the Google Maps app a couple of times while in a car, and it's usually constantly telling me there is interference and to reset it by moving the phone in the ∞ motion. But after I do this it will usually prompt me to do it again.

It's either this, or the phone will tell me I'm facing 90 degrees in another direction.

3. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

4. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

5. lionheartednyhc thread starter macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Uh. no. It worked on the 3GS. My issue is that on the 4, it ALWAYS has interference. Not just when Im near a computer or in a car.

6. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

happens ALL the time....but it's not a big deal. follow the on-screen instructions to fix it (move the phone in a figure 8).

when i open the compass, i just re-orient it right away....each and every time...by moving the phone in a figure-8 about 10 times. works fine after that.

7. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

ALL the time when I'm in my car. I'll do the figure 8 thing then it'll always show 90 degrees away from the direction it's actually pointing. The compass is USELESS in the car.

8. SatyMahajan macrumors regular

Probably not working in the car because the car is a large iron body producing a magnetic field that's greater than the earth's. Magnetometers are very sensitive to magnetic field and utilizing them to create a proper digital compass in non-ideal conditions is difficult.

Thus the problems you guys are facing.

9. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Ha!

Cars are not made of iron, that would be far too heavy.

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

Really? Here in the US, most car bodies are made from steel sheet metal. What are they using in the UK these days? Doped linen like the old Sopwith Camel biplanes? :D

11. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

As an engineering physics student, I don't think you're right. First of all, any magnetic field the metal from the car's body produces would never be greater than the earth's magnetic field. It's the proximity of the two things that make the difference. Just so you know, the metal on the body of the car doesn't produce a magnetic field and it's certainly not an electromagnet. It's more the interference from the car's stereo and dashboard that's causing the compass to act up.

12. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I'm an editor.

That said, mine gets jacked up in the car pretty often.

Thank goodness it's fine out on the trail where I might actually need to know the direction in which I am headed. :D

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You clearly have no idea what would happen to the planet if this was even remotely true.

14. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

LOL

I'm thinking he meant that from the phone's perspective, it just seems that way.

:)

15. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Isn't it ironic how in the old days, we neede car stereos to be shielded from a phone's interference, now we need stereos to be shielded from causing interference.

16. Airmark1 macrumors regular

The compass works so so in our VW Passat. It's a little off center but not to crazy.

However, in our Toyota Prius, the compass is useless. Moving, stopped, figure 8's etc. The compass is far more unreliable on that car. The GPS seems to be less accurate as well. I assume it's from all of the field disturbance from the electric motor. Not sure though.

17. ashVID macrumors regular

The IP4 does it much more frequently than my 3GS, perhaps I'm holding it wrong :) It comes back pretty quick though.

ash =o)

18. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

During the few times that I have used it, I always found it to be accurate. Got my exact location each time.

19. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

My 3Gs compass is a useless app. Anything that uses it is useless too. The only apps that work to route me are GPS apps. They are good as they use the Sats up in the sky. Otherwise, I'm doing figure 8s all day with little success.

20. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

The compass on my iPD has the same problem in the car.

21. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

I have the same issue with the iPad when I use it with Google Maps in the car FWIW.

I haven't tried it with my iPhone 4 yet.

22. dennisj00 macrumors member

To see the challenge, get a conventional compass and try to use it in a car.

23. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Here's an Apple support article about the compass:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2767

As they point out, if you want to use it in a car, then you need to mount it in a static location and leave it alone while it figures out its own calibration.

(I once had my built-in Jeep electronic compass get confused and it asked to be calibrated. Had to dig out the manual: you had to find a parking lot and drive around in a circle a few times until it figured it out.)