IP4 Data Connectivity Problems - Need Your Input

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davpel, Jul 3, 2010.

1. davpel macrumors member

Since getting my IP4 on launch day, I've had frustrating (and at times maddening) problems with data connectivity. Sometimes, the data connection is amazing, much faster than my IP3GS ever was - particularly for uploads. But for the most part, I get either no data connection at all -- just the spinning ball -- or a very slow connection with high latency.

For the past week, I've lumped these issues in with the antenna woes and hoped for a firmware update. But all along I've had my doubts that the data problem is part of the antenna issue. I have had no dropped calls. I don't do the death grip hold and, when I do, I can still make and receive calls.

Yesterday, I FINALLY started finding reports elsewhere from other IP4 users with the data connectivity issue. See the following links:

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010...-connectivity-issues/comment-page-1/#comments

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2478946&tstart=0

This issue hasn't really talked about much here and, when it has, it's been lumped in with the antenna problem. There is a theory going around that this problem (as well as others) may be the result of how the IP was initially setup.

So here's the deal. If you have this issue (voice okay/data crap) please respond here and indicate whether you setup your IP4 as new or whether you did a restore from your old IP.

2. Ogrillion macrumors member

I had the same issue you are talking about since I got the phone on launch day. I just kept the phone on edge assuming it was just a network issue.

After a couple of days go by, and I still have no 3G I started getting worried. I called Att they removed my data plan and re added it again. They he did something like send my phone a new signal with the towers. All of this worked for like 10min then right back to slow.

Called apple that night, they had me restore the phone. It worked for that night next morning it was bad again. Went to Att on the way home and got a new sim. Again worked good for a few hours then the next morning (yesterday) it was bad again.

Then I made a genius apt and all of a sudden my phones Internet was smoking fast. I went to the apt anyway nothing wrong with my phone so the guy says. Now today it's still super fast.

So IMO it has to be an Att issue and was just fixed in my area. Unless all the things I did finally did something.

Do you get some 3G in places or none ever? Mine sometimes worked which lead me to believe it wasn't hardware.

Without this data issue this phone is simply amazing and I hope it stays fixed

3. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

While I share your concerns, ther are at least 3 very active threads on this exact topic.

Can't link for you. But a search will get you ther w/ease.

4. utcarsons macrumors regular

5. davpel thread starter macrumors member

Seems that the other threads which discussed this issue kept getting sidetracked with antenna discussions. The purpose of my posting was a new thread was to isolate this issue and, more importantly, to determine whether there was any relationship to how the phone was originally setup.

But thank you for your snarkiness. It was much appreciated. There is nothing I like better than reading post #2 or 3 in a thread from someone telling the OP to do a search. It's right up there with trolls for summer fun.

6. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

The only snarkiness posted here is by you OP. I was giving you a hand, nothing more.

So, use the help or don't- but your baiting me after I was kind is not welcome.

BTW. I have this issue as well with my phone.

7. utcarsons macrumors regular

I have this issue, and I set mine up as new. Husband set his up with backup restore and reportedly has less problems. However, it should be noted that if he receives errors, he shrugs and tries later, while I get annoyed and try to fix it. ;) So, perhaps he would not be as quick to really notice it.