iP4 JB Qs - Any Guidance Much Appreciated

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by leukman, May 10, 2011.

1. leukman macrumors newbie

Okay, newbie here – need jailbreak help. Been reading up on it as much as I can, but still have questions—hope you all can help.

Here’s my dillio – my daughter just started driving, and unfortunately I have a need to keep her honest. I want to install tracking app on her phone, but I need to jailbreak it first. I know the app won’t be detectable, but I’m worried if she’ll be able to tell if the phone’s been jailbroken.

The app I’m looking at (SpyBubble) lets you hide the Cydia icon on the springboard (by dialing a 5 digit code), but I’m worried she’ll be able to tell other ways (for example, I believe greenpoison reboots with an untethered JB showing a skull/apple thing)

Okay, so she’s got an iP4, but is on iOS 4.2.1 because she never updates, so I’m assuming that’s good.

I’ve already tried using greenpoison on her phone once, but got stuck in DFU and had to read these forum threads to figure out how to get out of it – and what I’d read suggested using redsnow instead.

So I’ve looked into using redsnow because as far as I know that doesn’t alter the boot icon and still provides untethered break in 4.2.1 (please confirm?). But I’m not sure about what version I should be using (dependant on the baseband version????), and when I open the app on my PC it asks for the IPSW – can’t say I’ve been able to figure out what that is or where I get the right file for her current firmware.

Any help or suggestions would be great – I’m obviously new to the JB process, but would appreciate any guidance. Something other than or better than greenpoison or redsnow I should be looking at?

Thanks -

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

So you are looking for a way to be dishonest with your daughter. So you can keep her honest! :eek: does anybody else find this odd. I have a almost 15 year old daughter so I know where you are coming from. but I find it's more effective if we both trust each other a little. My daughter would disown me if I tried this. I wouldn't blame her. Iclarified has all the tutorials.

3. leukman thread starter macrumors newbie

How'd I know I shoulda left that part out.

Look, if your 15 year old, soon to be 16/17, was giving you reason to beleive she was running with the wrong crowd and lying to you, regardless of your best efforts, wouldn't you want to know what the truth was? The truth she wasn't sharing with you, no matter how much you asked and pleaded.

Gimme a break, man. I'm a single father of three kids, working full time, and doing my best. Just trying to keep my kid outta trouble.

4. kre62 macrumors 68000

Hey man, whatever you need to do.

To get rid of the skull just delete the file usr/bin/animate

Use a browsing tool like ifunbox instead of bothering with SSH. Easy as can be.

5. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

She's a teenager, she will surely figure out her phone is jailbroken!

6. phiber macrumors newbie

Plus, the next time she plugs her phone in the computer itunes is gonna prompt for an update...it's super easy for her to click yes update, and then you'll be in big trouble :/
    I am against the idea of tracking people, but I am not aware of your particular situation, so what about you try to put some kind of tracking device in her car instead?
    Dunno, just trying to help

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

if one of her friends figures it out and tells her dad is spying on her. She is going to rebel big time. I don't know your situation and I can't put myself in it. just think carefully before you do it. you might end up making things allot worse. and like the other poster says all she has to do is restore the firmware or update it to unjailbreak. Seriously as one parent to another good luck with your situation.

8. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Doesn't AT&T also offer a family plan tracking service? Seems tailor made for something like this, and can't be as easily eliminated with a simple firmware upgrade.

9. phill50 macrumors newbie

this is odd but,,

find my iphone is free as of update a few months ago.. may work good enough for you.
    PS actually i just tested it and it works real good. it picked up five of our idevices and the only one not showing is one ipad that must be turned off.

hope this helps??

10. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Cool story Bro!

11. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

+1