IP4: Loose Back Plate and Volume Buttons

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ChristianR, Oct 5, 2010.

1. ChristianR macrumors newbie

Title says it all. If I place my palm against the back plate - the damned thing slides back and forth. The volume buttons have a bit of give to them. I'm in Canada and the nearest Apple Store is in Toronto, about 1.5 hours away from me (and $20 worth of gas).

What procedure should I go through to get this fixed/get a new iPhone.

Also - I have dropped the phone once from 7 feet and only knicked the bezel on the two corners.

Cheers

2. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

When you say it slides back and forth, could you be a little more descriptive?

Mine does some "sliding" on the back, but nothing near enough to make me think it is a defect or faulty phone.

3. ChristianR thread starter macrumors newbie

For example. I lay the phone down, front face on the bottom, docking port facing my chest, place my palm against the phone (as if pressing down on it), apply a bit of pressure to get friction. Then I slide my palm towards the north and the back plate moves up a little bit, and if I pull back, it slides back down. It's loose.

4. chembox macrumors 6502a

I got my iPhone replaced just for the loose buttons, it was very frustrating. The genius explained how the volume buttons are placed and molded and then gave me a replacement and I walked right out.

5. Pillar macrumors 6502

Pillar

I wondered what that noise was every time i set my iphone down. after reading your reply, I checked my phone and sure enough it was the "decrease volume" button that's loose.

6. Amino Man macrumors 6502

My first iPhone 4 had a loose power button, but I returned it due to the antenna issue (before the case program). My new iPhone 4 has no loose parts whatsoever. The back is solid and the buttons do not make noise when I jiggle the phone. However, the camera autofocus mechanism can make a vibration when tapping on the back, but that's normal.

If I were you, I'd exchange my iPhone simply for the loose back. A button, I can deal with but that back piece is the only think that is keeping the internals from being exposed. It should not be loose.

Try seeing if the screws are tight on the bottom. That's what keeps the backplate in place.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

You said you dropped it from 7 feet. Most people (some?) are under 6 feet or so. Maybe that's why the backplate is loose.

8. ChristianR thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the thing is, this has started happening a maximum of 2 weeks ago - I dropped it over a MONTH ago.

9. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Hello (place your care manufacturer here),
    I crashed my car but only knicked the bumper a little. There is some noise and a part is coming off. Could you please give me a new car? I know I crashed it but I don't take responsibility for that, I simply expect YOU to give me a new one/fix this one. Thanks.

Really? To get a "new" phone you go to the store and pay $199 for a refurb.

10. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

Uhm. I dont think that necessarily follows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_analogy
    http://onegoodmove.org/fallacy/falsean.htm

EDIT: Just fed the troll without realizing it. GG. I guess I should have figured with a name like "DroidRules".
    http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?searchid=21845630

11. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Take into Apple and they will exchange it for you.