ip4 microsim in 2G

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by fongyuen, Jul 10, 2010.

1. fongyuen macrumors 6502

hey guys, got my new ip4 today and it's great. i'm hoping to keep my 2G iphone around and perhaps swap the sim once in a while so i can take the older phone with me rather than the 4. i cut out an adapter tray out of an old credit card and was able to get the microsim in the 2G but it says a diff. sim card is detected and need to connect to itunes. in itunes it tries to get me to activate with att. my 2G was already jb'd and unlocked, is there anything i can do so that i can use the one sim card on both phones? thanks.

2. Alkemenia macrumors newbie

hey guys, got my new ip4 today and it's great. i'm hoping to keep my 2G iphone around and perhaps swap the sim once in a while so i can take the older phone with me rather than the 4. i cut out an adapter tray out of an old credit card and was able to get the microsim in the 2G but it says a diff. sim card is detected and need to connect to itunes. in itunes it tries to get me to activate with att. my 2G was already jb'd and unlocked, is there anything i can do so that i can use the one sim card on both phones? thanks.

Are you sure it was already unlocked? Where did it tell you "a different sim card is detected and needs to connect to iTunes", on the iPhone screen? (but wasnt the connect to iTunes screen, right?) If you activate 2g with at&t, your data plan will be changed from the $30 plan to $20 plan (with new data plans, don't know if it still works that way). If you start using sim in newer iPhone, like your iPhone 4, you will receive texts from at&t telling you that you need to change data plans (back to the $30 plan). Unfortunately this cannot be done thru iTunes with newer iPhones (only 2g creates data plan on iTunes) so I had to make a trip to the at&t store and give them my new serial number from newer iPhone to change data plans. May be possible to do over the phone as well.

3. Alkemenia macrumors newbie

I also have an iPhone 4 and cut an old sim to hold my microsim. I put the microsim in a 2g and 3g iPhone (both out of warranty). At first the iPhones recognized and worked with microsim, but now neither iPhone will recognize any sim (at&t or tmobile). Screen says no sim. Rejailbroke and unlocked-same problem. Restored to stock firmware and iPhones won't recognize at&t sim to activate. :( Put microsim in 2 different newer 3GS iPhones (both under warranty) and microsim has had no problems working in 3GS.

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

yes there is already threads about this you guys can search and get your answers! ;)

5. fongyuen thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, i don't plan on activating my microsim on the 2G. i'm fine with the $30 plan, i just want to have the option of pulling the microsim out and putting it into the 2G once in a while if i'm lending the phone to my family or something.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

well you do know AT&T can tell what device you are using. not sure what there policy will be regarding this. but it only take a minute or two for sim to report what device you are using.

7. renegaderon macrumors newbie

8. Alkemenia macrumors newbie

fongyuen posted:yeah, i don't plan on activating my microsim on the 2G. i'm fine with the $30 plan, i just want to have the option of pulling the microsim out and putting it into the 2G once in a while if i'm lending the phone to my family or something.

I think you have misunderstood me. There are two options to use a sim in 2g. (1) Jailbreak and unlock iPhone and simply place sim in 2g. (2) Activate thru iTunes with at&t. This will change your data plan to $20 (no choice). After activating, contact at&t and change data plan to $30. You will then have 2 activated iPhones and can switch sim between two without changing data plan again. (It will stay at $30 even when using 2g)

fongyuen posted: says a diff. sim card is detected and need to connect to itunes.

I have never seen this show up on an iPhone. Did the message come up as an alert (like when you get a text outside of text app) on the iPhone screen? (my 2g iPhone had no problems, at first, connecting and using at&t service but later will not recognize a sim, just tells me there is no sim card inserted)

labman posted:well you do know AT&T can tell what device you are using. not sure what there policy will be regarding this. but it only take a minute or two for sim to report what device you are using.

That is correct. At&t has already changed my picture of iPhone 4 to a 3GS on my account page. I have been using my sim in numerous different iPhones for 2 years and I have not had any problems from at&t. Except when I activated 2g and changed data plan, then used my 3GS, I had to change my data plan back to $30. As long as you are not using 2 active sims at the same time.

9. Alkemenia macrumors newbie

labman posted:yes there is already threads about this you guys can search and get your answers

The problem I am having (and fongyuen may have) is not just a problem in understanding how to jailbreak and unlock an iPhone. I have a 3g and 2g iPhone already unlocked and had no problems in using sims in them before (tmobile and at&t) until I put new microsim in. These iPhones both at the same time after putting at&t's new microsim in do not recognize the sim or any sim now. (virtually turning iPhones into iTouches). If they were on apple warranty I could just get them replaced. After that experience I will no longer put my new microsim in an iPhone not covered by apple warranty. Maybe it was a coincidence that both old iPhones recognized sim connected to at&t service, worked for awhile, and then had a problem in motherboard, making it impossible to recognize any sim card again. (even after restoring). But my newer 3GS iPhones have no problems using the microsim.

10. fongyuen thread starter macrumors 6502

man, maybe it's not such a good idea to do this then... :/

the screen i get on my 2G after i stick the microsim in is this:
    [​IMG]

i connect to itunes and it wants to activate with att. so not going down that road. the 2G is already jb'd and unlocked, so perhaps the answer is just that the microsim is not compatible with the 2G?

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced