IP4/S + iTunes Cloud = Heaven

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jody, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Jody macrumors regular

I signed up for iTunes cloud the other day and got the iOS5 GM installed on the phone.

It matched 2000/7000 songs (not that great) and took about 24 hours to upload the rest. HOWEVER now that it's all set up... it's absolutely amazing. I have been LONGING for the day that I can get to my whole music library without having to worry about syncing/storage/etc.

This is an amazing service... Makes 16gb of storage seem like more than enough.

2. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

I started using Spotify some time ago, but iCloud looks great.

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

It's definitely the most compelling feature of iCloud for me - hopefully we'll get it in the UK sooner rather than later!

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

iTunes match is the only thing I haven't tried yet. I might give it a try today. There's only about 5 songs out of thousands that I actually bought from iTunes though and some ripped from CDs.

5. Jody thread starter macrumors regular

Oh - and the other bonus -

Now I can access my whole music library from my laptop too! So my huge library is on the desktop and synced to icloud - and now ALL of my iTunes libraries are synced.

The days of maintaining multiple itunes libraries are OVER!

Now I need this for iPhoto too...

6. fjrabon macrumors regular

Is there a 25,000 song limit? I've heard this various places, but I've never seen it officially?

I would still think it's an awesome feature, but man, it's going to be really time consuming to figure out which 25,000 songs to match if so.

7. r2fa3l macrumors regular

It's been a headache for me (To Be Honest), iTunes Match is still very very "Beta".... I can see how it's going to work, but at the moment I'm not impressed With iTunes Match; iCloud is working great and it is really stable. My 0.2 Cents

8. fjrabon macrumors regular

wait, so iTunes match works for Lion as well? So I can use it on my air? I hadn't even considered this, but that would be worth it, even if it didn't also work for my phone.

9. Jody thread starter macrumors regular

What problems have you run in to? It seriously could not have been any easier/smoother for me

10. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

I would love to get the 16 gb and sign up for iTunes Match, but I'm worried about how much data and battery it will chew up. I ordered the 64 gb and will think about the cloud strategy next time around if it seems like its working well.

11. steve dave macrumors 6502a

I am still not clear if it streams or not. If it doesn't it is a nonstarter for me.

12. Jody thread starter macrumors regular

Yea - I had NO IDEA this was part of the deal... they hadn't mentioned it anywhere else.

But for people with multiple Macs... this is absolutely amazing.

----------

The music is available on demand, and then it gets stored on your device as you listen. You can delete it if you want.

This ensures that music you listen to a lot is always available locally, but your entire library is available to listen to.

13. steve dave macrumors 6502a

So anytime I want to listen to an album I have to download the entire thing before I can? Is there a way to download at a lower quality, or am I stuck downloading full quality albums over 3G? I think I will just stick with MOG.

14. Jody thread starter macrumors regular

No no - it plays instantly. It seems to be a hyrbid of streaming/downloading.

15. steve dave macrumors 6502a

Right but I am still downloading 256 AAC files over the air? I listen to too much music, I would be throttled all the time.

16. Jody thread starter macrumors regular

Yea but it only downloads it once. So the next time you listen to the same song - it's in the cache and doesn't need to be downloaded.

17. Jody thread starter macrumors regular

For $2/month this absolutely destroys the other music locker services.

They REALLY need something like this for iPhoto. I really need a way to get the photo libraries across 3 computers, 2 phones, and 2 ipads synced together.

18. fjrabon macrumors regular

how long does it stay in the cache? Do you have to manually delete or will it either eventually kick them out, or kick the old ones out when it runs out of room?

19. Jody thread starter macrumors regular

I have no idea what happens when the phone runs out of space. I would ASSUME it would start rolling off music you haven't listened to in a while. Really I have no idea though.

20. fjrabon macrumors regular

cool, thanks for all the info. I got the 16GB for exactly this reason. Glad to hear it's working well. I am pretty much super psyched now for it on my macbook air as well, had no idea that would be possible. I've got nearly a terabyte of music on my main desktop. It will be awesome to be able to access that on the iPhone and macbook air. Especially when coupled with a grandfathered unlimited data plan.

21. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Have you not tried Photo Stream?

22. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

it seems that you will begin streaming it, but it doesn't "go away" once you're done...basically it allows you to listen as you download

23. Jody thread starter macrumors regular

That only syncs your stream of photos saved to your camera roll or put in the stream... I want the WHOLE libraries synced across all of my computers.

24. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

It could also really destroy your monthly data plan if you download a lot of music...

25. fjrabon macrumors regular

well, yeah, but that's any streaming option. Actually iTunes match is probably the best option for limiting data usage, as you don't have to stream the data multiple times if you listen to the same song before it is deleted from your phone.