iP4 system restore... tonight shall tell the tale

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by millerb7, Jun 28, 2010.

1. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

So, long story short... I lose ~20% battery as my phone sits overnight, and surfing safari I lose about 1% a minute.

Resetting system via phone settings did nothing, if not made it worse.

So just did a system restore, about to be 100% charged, and we'll let it sit overnight and see how it holds up.

I run with wifi off, bluetooth off, notifications off, email etc on 15 minutes fetch (push off), auto dim off, brightness ~40%. Pretty basic, leaving off a lot of the features.... this is the settings for my test... as it's how things were last night.

Today I even turned fetch to manual and was still dropping battery like whoa crazy.

Anyways, I'll keep you posted in the morning for those that are interested in battery issues. I have a appointment at applestore tomorrow so if it doesn't work, they are giving me a new phone (so they say).

2. Goodeye macrumors 6502a

Goodeye

I was getting the same thing. Did a full restore set up phone as new and noticed that battery was 10x better

3. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

I lose 12% battery life every hour [1% every 5 mins]
    Before i restored twice, I lost twice of that

4. millerb7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm... I might still take it in... It's hard to not believe it's partially or all hardware... I mean 1% a minute is CRAZY power loss.

People I know personally get a 1.5 days standby and 10+ hours usage on a single charge... I get like 4 hours standby and 2 hours usage.

5. Amnesia87 macrumors 6502

What exactly is a full restore?

I don't think my battery life is terrible or anything, at like 4h45 use 15h30 standby and 24%

But I still feel like I should be getting more out of it.

I've just never had an iPhone before now, so I have nothing to really compare it to.

6. coolnwo macrumors member

Updates?

Any updatrs?

7. millerb7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It seemed to fix the drain overnight issue, SIGNIFICANTLY.

I went from losing 20-25% to losing 3%.... big change.

I think talked on the phone with bluetooth for 30 min. this morning, went from 97% to 86%.... now I've been cruising the internet for a little bit, down to 83%... sitting at 83% atm.

I'm satisfied with the overnight aparent fix... not sure bout normal battery use though. 83% with 1 hour usage seems a little drastic. I do have 9 hours of standby, that that was what took me from 100% to 97%. So then after an hour of usage I went from 97% to 83%.

Still not thrilled... might go ahead and return it anyways today.... but we shall see what the rest of the work day brings.

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Well, the phone is only measured for 7 hours of 3G talk time to begin with, which means a half hour conversation should have a ~7% hit on battery. Plus Bluetooth power usage makes an 11% hit not out of the question.

9. critic81 macrumors regular

I've found that having the battery meter on makes you paranoid about battery usage. I had it on all the time for my 3GS, but now i have it off for my 4. I do go and check it every so often though. I left it over night after doing a full drain and then charge, and it was still at 100% in the morning. I have noticed that the battery life is greatly improved on this phone. Also don't forgot its good to do two full drains and charges when you first get the phone, and do a full drain about every month after that.

10. ScKcBc macrumors regular

LOL, I've noticed the same thing. I'm psycho about always having my phone charged now. I need to turn the % off because it makes me always want it to say 100%

11. critic81 macrumors regular

It really does have a mental affect on you seeing th amount of battery left. I mean it's good for when you have like 20% left then you know when your phone is about to die, but other then that, I just hate when i see that number go down. I think it's best to have it off.