iP4 tethering for iPad 2 on 3 UK

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MrMister111, Jun 5, 2011.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68020

Ok so I'm about to leave O2 in UK as finished contract and join 3 (in UK) as it's much cheaper and get unlimited 3G data.

I have an official unlocked iP4 and confirmed ok with a PAYG 3 Sim.

So the option I'm going onto 3 is PAYg but you get unlimited data. Officially it states that you can't use it for tethering but how will 3 know? Can I use it for tethering for my WiFi only iPad 2?

I've confirmed it works with a friends sim but in all intensive purposes it's the iP4 connecting to the mobile network with 3G data and not the iPad right?

Can somehow 3 tell? Does the iP4 somehow report to the mobile network wihen personal hotspot is enabled and running and using 3G data?

I wont use it that much really and won't be hammering the tethering anyway but would be nice to know if it's "ok" to use sometimes for when on road with iPad, or so kids can use in car etc.

Cheers

2. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

3. alexwgreen macrumors newbie

MrMister111

I can't contribute regarding 3's PAYG offerings, but I'm writing this on my sisters laptop connected via tethering on my IP4. This is through 3's "The one plan" Pay monthly 24 mo contract.

This works out at 35pcm but I got the phone for 169 with that (32Gb version)

If you already have the phone, I would consider their sim only "the one plan" which works out at 25 pcm, but gives all the same inclusive minutes etc. It's also on a rolling monthly contract.

I haven't tried tethering to any other devices, but I hope this info is useful to you

Regards

4. TheOriginalKi macrumors 6502

Which plan will you be using? Sim only One Plan or PAYG? The AYCE data on the Sim only One Plan for £25 a month includes tethering however the AYCE data on PAYG does not. This is what I gather from reading the Three Blog. No harm TRYING to tether on PAYG - what's the worst they can do to you?

5. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

I've joined now on the PAYG and for £15/month aI get AYCE data and enough mins and texts for me.

As I say officially you can't tether your iPad to your iP4 on PAYG but as I ask now do they tell? I won't use it much so maybe worth a risk?

6. alexwgreen macrumors newbie

Out of curiosity, did you get the tethering to work?