iP4 when battery is empty system time is 1970, and I can't open any 3rd party apps

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by old-school, Jul 26, 2010.

1. old-school macrumors 6502

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this. When my battery is empty so I can't turn the phone on, I put it on charge and once it turns on it has reset the system time and date to 01/01/70 01:00am. Not only that I can't open any 3rd party apps. They are technically opened and appear in the multitasking tray but they close/hide immediately after they are tapped. No problems with the pre-installed Apple apps, but anything out of the appstore is problematic. I have to sync it to get back functionality, and have to set the date and time manually (and click through several hundred alarms from the calendar app)!

Applecare are sending me a box to return it. Anyone had these problems? The service rep said she hadn't encountered it before.

2. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

3. old-school thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha, yeh. Another thing I've noticed is that the keyboard has gone a bit weird a couple of times - not allowing the shift key to be used, and the double tap to finish a sentence (insert a . and a space) has gone.

Oh well, it'll be sent back in a couple of days, and hopefully everything will be hunky dory after that.

4. Snowman3459 macrumors 6502a

Well idk about your other issues but with the app problem, all you have to do is download another app. Free or paid. It can be anything.

5. Sixpack446 macrumors member

I noticed the same thing with my 3GS. I hadn't used it in weeks and when I turned it on it was Dec 31st, 1969. For some reason you can change the date as far back as year one.