Ip5 battery automatic charge from sun light

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vat Mouy Sia, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Vat Mouy Sia macrumors newbie

Some told me that ip5 very special than ip4, specially battery automatic charge from the sun light, is it true?

2. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Nope, there has been no information released regarding the iPhone 5. We will have to wait and see.

3. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Didn't we just tell you in the other thread NO ONE here knows anything about the iPhone 5? Is that hard to understand? As for your question I severely doubt that will be true.

4. Rackness macrumors newbie

5. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

Really?!?? That's AmAZing!!!!

6. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Yeah, just put it in Airplane Mode and give it a toss.

7. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Pre ordering then! :eek:

8. the.sheepdog macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

and battery technologies are not that great yet to make a solar battery that could be efficient enough to be able to be small enough to be in an iPhone. Solar is very inefficient now. Solar collectors the size of couches are required to get even a small amount of saved battery power.

Nickel metal hydride just doesn't get the job done now. Heat is a problem and so is fire.

Once battery technology takes that next leap our world and it's devices could evolve to something very cool. Just not quite yet.

9. nizmoz macrumors 65816

It wouldn't take much for Apple to place some small Solar panels behind the glass all around the screen. This would allow it to pull it's own power from light and possibly not use/drain the battery near as fast, maybe lasting 3x longer. It would still need it some, but not as much as before.

Surprised no one has done something like this.

10. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

The gain would be negligible. Perhaps we would see a 0.7% increase in battery life. Not worth the extra cost and complexity.

11. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Actually there was some news about this not long ago, I believe some Apple patents were discovered. I think the tech even let them put the stuff in the screen so it could charge face up.

With that being said I don't think anyone was trying to claim it would be in the next phone. We may see something like that down the road. I don't think the tech is quite there yet.

12. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

Your sir just made my day!...

13. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Actually it would be way more than that.

14. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

There is no way they would put a solar cell on the iPhone at this time. The amount of energy collected would be miniscule. People seem to think that solar cells collect a lot of energy: very much not the case. If you had a laptop sized solar cell, facing south, with 12 hours of strong light you might recharge the battery. Maybe in 10 years.

15. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Because solar panels of the size you're talking about collect just about zero energy. And then you have to have something to do the conversion, which means taking up more space. Impossible to do if you've ever seen the inside of an iPhone 4.

The only way you could do it is if the back of the phone was a solar panel. Nothing around the screen, nothing on the front.

With current technology, the power to size ratio is basically 1000 watts to 1 square meter of solar panel. Thats in an hour in peak conditions. So, if you were to cover the entire back of the iPhone 4 in a solar panel, you'd have a roughly 11 cm x 5.5 cm panel. You'd be talking about a theoretical maximum of about 50 watts in direct sunlight for an hour.

The iPhone charger, as far as I can tell, calls for about 5 watts. Theoretically, if you weren't worried about the size of the phone, and had direct sunlight (cloud cover will lose you 33% of the charge) - it should work with some power to spare. However, you'd have to double the thickness of the phone to fit the tech. Not something anyone would want.

And this doesn't take into account problems with heating up an electronic device by leaving it in direct sunlight.

16. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

17. nizmoz macrumors 65816

18. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

A solar charger for the battery - sounds like a great idea. Oh wait - I live in Scotland. :(

19. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

REALLY? Did you just travel from the past? Have you been into an outdoor or electronic store recently?

Yes, they are very inefficient... but a panel the size of a couch to get saved battery life? No...

20. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

How much money do you think that kind of technology costs?

To do that, I would say you would need a tiny solar panel built in each phone, and a solar panel is expensive as hell, so I wouldn't count on it...

21. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

22. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Why would the wasteland a thread about a technology Apple has at least thought about using? :confused: