IP5 photos look over-exposed when not using flash

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by UncleheFTy, Jun 24, 2013.

1. UncleheFTy macrumors member

We attend a lot of concerts and even when there are few floodlights my pictures look overexposed. I dislike using flash as it can annoy the artiste (we are often on front row) and your neighbours and it can add an 'unreal' look to photos.

Is there anyway of adjusting exposure on the iP5 camera through settings (I have looked but may not be looking hard enough:) )

Ta
    Uncle H

2. ayres macrumors regular

concerts are very contrasty scenes. where are you getting your light readings? as good as the lens is on the 5, the sensor's dynamic range is still very limiting. my limited opinion on your situation - it's not the camera, it's how your using the ae.

----------

btw, post some images

3. UncleheFTy, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013

UncleheFTy thread starter macrumors member

I can't find the AE/AF settings on my iP5 and is there anyway of inserting an image here without a URL?

Found A&E

4. ayres macrumors regular

ae/af is simply where the box is prior to shooting... hold up the phone on a still scene containing variable lighting, and tap around on the screen to see how the image lightens and darkens. that's the iphone's ae.

it is also the af. but realize that due to the sensor size and aperture, depth of field is very large, so everything is mostly in focus. (this is the one reason i could never be content with the iphone being my only digital camera - though it is my most used digital camera)

5. UncleheFTy thread starter macrumors member

ta
    uncle