IP5 S bricked???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by StarShot, Oct 24, 2015.

1. StarShot macrumors 6502

StarShot

My 2 year old IP5 S with iOS9.x on it seems to have bit the dust. I noticed a couple of days ago that it was slow to boot. Today I turned it on and go no further than the white screen with the Apple logo. I tried several soft resets that didn't work. I then tried the Restore option, turning it on while holding the home button and then plugging it in to iTunes. I never did see the display with the power cord going into iTunes.

If I do get it to apparently go off, it seems to try to reboot by itself, again going to the white screen with the Apple logo.

I'm wondering if this is fixable. I'm going to make an appointment with the Apple Genius bar. If they can't get to back in operation, I guess I'll sell it on eBay for parts. I'm especially torqued in that I just bought a new glass screen protector and case for the phone.

2. daghstdrummer macrumors member

You should be able to restore it by plugging it in and setting it to Dfw mode

3. StarShot thread starter macrumors 6502

StarShot

I finally did get it out of the present mode, but now I'm in the "bad battery mode". I have the screen that shows the charger cable pointing to a dead battery. I'm plugged in, but the battery is not taking a charge. I had this same problem with last year's IP6 which Apple replaced with a refurb unit. If my present problem is a bad battery, I wonder if it an be replaced and for how much?

4. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

I think it's error 9
    check on itunes and maybe it's bad battery or fried motherboard.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Your chances might be good, particularly if the battery is swollen. You can tell if it's swollen by looking at the side of the phone. If you notice that the screen is lifting up then the battery is swollen.

It's a safety issue so Apple will replace it out of warranty for free period.

6. StarShot, Oct 24, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2015

StarShot thread starter macrumors 6502

StarShot

I'm not sure whether I see an swelling in the case re the battery expanding. I'm going to take it into an Apple Store for their comment. If the fix is less than $100, I'll probably spring for it. Otherwise, it's going on eBay for a "part out sale".

I tried to attach a photo of the screen, but can't figure out how to include it here.

7. DoctorKrabs macrumors 6502a

DoctorKrabs

I've had an iPad do this before. Your battery died, but it's not the battery that is causing the problem.
    With the iPad, I put in a new battery and it didn't show the bad battery screen afterwards but it still couldn't boot up, showing an Apple logo and rebooting itself. It also wouldn't make it through a restore.

It was logic board failure and I had to fix it by using the "Oven trick" to reflow the logic board. After that it worked fine but I don't recommend doing it.

8. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Is this really true? I don't think Apple states that as a policy. I wonder if this is something that individual store managers do to get customers off their hair.

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well. I had mine replaced, but I had Applecare+ at the time.

About a few months ago, another user posted in here an odd picture of his iPhone 5. I knew right away it was battery swelling because I'd gone through that. So, I told the user that and he went to Apple and they replaced it free of charge. They told him it was a safety issue.

About a couple months after that another user posted in the same thread that his battery was swelling but he was wondering if Apple would replace it because he was about a year out of warranty. He tried anyway and Apple did it free, no questions asked.

So, I'd take it in and see. If the battery is swelling then I believe you have a very good chance of replacement out of warranty free.

Some caveats here. iPhone 5. Swelling battery. No proof that this is any kind of a policy whatsoever.

But that's what I've experienced myself and read on here. If your battery is NOT swelling but just bad, then I don't know what your chances on replacement would be. And I have no idea if it applies just to the 5 or any other iPhone.

10. StarShot thread starter macrumors 6502

StarShot

THANKS TO ALL for their inputs. I have an appointment at Apple on Tuesday. From what I've read here, I think I have a "part out" sale coming on eBay. On second thought, maybe I'll just smash it because IF I did sell it as is, and someone could get it back up running, all my passwords etc would/might be available to them. As I already stated, I'll pay up to $100 for a repair/fix.

11. StarShot thread starter macrumors 6502

StarShot

I think I'll pass on the "Oven Trick"! Watched a couple of youtube videos doing this "magic" with laptop logic boards. Definitely a LOW budget fix since the logic board would have to be removed to attempt it. Saw a great website that showed how to remove the logic board is something like 30 STEPS. Not for me! If I did that, I would want a good logic board for replacement.

I have mixed feeling about repairing this phone as I don't want to go on a "fishing trip" with no firm cost estimate. If I run into a wall, I was thinking of a "part out" sale on eBay where I see them going for around $100 or so. However, I would be worried about security in that I have a password app on the phone that I can't delete since I can't boot it up to do a factory reset. If a buyer was to get this phone booted up again, and if they could figure out my master password, I wouldn't like that. I guess I could change all my financial passwords before selling it.

I should know where I'm going with this after my Genius Appointment on Tuesday.

12. StarShot thread starter macrumors 6502

StarShot

Final update on this thread. Went into the Apple Genius store today and was told that the housing that the Lighting Connector pins or some connected to these pins failed, thus it was unfixable at Apple. Perhaps an off Apple site could have fixed the problem with parts from other failed phone. I didn't want to go down the route so I bought a replacement for $269. In a few weeks, I'll forget all about this nasty experience.

Especially with an UNWATCH this thread.