IP5 to IP5S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by abz1981, May 2, 2014.

1. abz1981 macrumors 65816

Hey all

I been thinking a lot lately, if its time for me to move from the iPhone 5 to the iPhone 5S. I mean don't get me wrong. I love my 5 etc. However I don't know if its a worthy upgrade? I know people might tell me to wait for the iPhone 6. However I don't want an iPhone bigger than the 5/5S.

Anyone else made the move from 5 to 5S are you happy with this choice you made.

2. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

I'm gonna be honest with you, I had a 5s for 2 weeks and man it's totally not worth it when you already have a 5. Yes, Touch ID is cool and slow mo camera might be useful once or twice but that's pretty much it. You won't notice any speed or performance improvements

3. eddiec312 macrumors 6502

eddiec312

Yeah I agree, the speed gain is marginal. You will only notice barely the difference if you compare them side by side on certain apps.

I would say just wait till the 6 comes for the fact that the 5S will be cheaper then, new and used.

4. Crispykickz macrumors newbie

5. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Yes.

6. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for your replies. If the difference isn't that much. Then I will stick with the iPhone 5 and like suggested here. If I really want to go for 5s go for it when the price drops when the 6 comes. But I know il be ruling out getting the 6 if it's bigger than the 5s.

7. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

The camera is a lot better, especially for zooming, two tone flash is much better at night, slight battery increase, slight speed increase, and touch id is indeed very cool, previous to it i never had my phone locked because it was a hassle but now it always is. Decide based off this.

8. TouchMint.com macrumors 68000

TouchMint.com

I really didnt noticed anything different between the 5 and the 5s. I dont use my camera much and besides touch login theres really nothing new. I did notice an improvement in battery but thats just because my 5 battery was almost dead anyways.

I would wait for the 6 tbh.

9. CosmoFox macrumors regular

The novelty has worn off with Touch ID, where I don't really care about the 5S over the 5. It's the same phone, I wouldn't sweat it. Wait for the 6 for sure.

10. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

It seems like the coating on the 5S is more durable.

11. regkilla macrumors 6502

regkilla

You're wrong, you will notice the iPhone 5s is faster.

----------

Touch ID is useful everyday.

12. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I switching from a 5, to Galaxy S4 to iPhone 5S a paltry two months later.

Solid upgrade as far as I am concerned, but don't expect a big difference at a glance. In the usage though, the 5S is clearly the better performing product, and I like TouchID.

13. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

I'm not wrong, I have tested it and You can't notice any differences, maybe you can notice 0.2 seconds but I can't

14. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

I think the main thing with me, is that I am just an average user. Yes I use the camera on my IP5, but that is just every day and random photos. I take photos 99% of the time during the day. I am also happy with the pass code set up. I know a few work friends who have the IP5S and they say they don't really use the touch ID, and prefer the passcode too.

Yes the battery life is better and it has got a faster processor. However I am never far from a charging point for my IP5, and if the difference in speed isn't that much. I think I have answered my own question and just stick to the IP5, and get the IP6, only if the IP6 blows the IP5 and IP5S out of the water.

15. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

If you wait until the 6 comes though, I would presume that you'll have to buy used/new from private seller if you want a 32gb or 64gb model, possibly even a 16.

16. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

I would just buy it from apple and sell my 5 if I wanted to do that and purchase the 5s or 6.

17. eddiec312 macrumors 6502

eddiec312

I thought you had a Galaxy S5 not a 4?

18. iKaushal macrumors 6502

iKaushal

Well I shifted from iphone 5 to 5s.

The single biggest positive is Touch ID. Can't even imagine going back to non Touch ID phones. Also the difference in speed is quite evident in games.

Lastly camera quality is significantly better :apple:

19. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

No point in upgrading when iPhone 6 is out in September.

You don't want a 4.7" screen? Why?

20. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

Just personal preference. Happy with the current screen size on the iPhone 5.

21. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Fair enough. Perhaps I should just answer your original question. I'm have a 5s and came from the 5.

Touch ID is flawless, for me anyway after the 7.1.1 update. I get the new iPhone every year anyway so what it has or doesn't have, doesn't bother me.

Although I'll say it again. Just wait for the 6!

22. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

As of two weeks ago I now have an S5. Really like it as well.

23. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

I remember upgrading from a 4 to a 4S knowing full well that the difference probably wouldn't be huge. But I had to have it. And I clearly remember after 10 minutes of setting everything up thinking to myself, "man, this is really, really similar to my 4S." If I had to do it over again, I probably would've just waited for the 5. Same advice goes for you here, OP. Just wait until the 6. It's only 4-5 months away.

24. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The camera is better and the touch passcode is cool. Other than that, it still has the same paltry 1GB of RAM which is a disaster with iOS7.

Wait for the i6.