Ip6 Apple Leather Case w/ Magnet Dock Plate

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by RWil85, Feb 25, 2016.

1. RWil85 macrumors 6502

I've seen a couple of car docks that are based on a magnetic plate being placed inside the case (or stuck to the back) that will cling to a strong magnetic dock [I'm sure you guys know what they are].

Does anyone have experience using one of the magnetic plates with an Apple Leather Case?

Thanks.

2. n1smo macrumors member

Yup, it works. I just keep it floating in there, i.e. Did not use the adhesive.

3. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

I do the same

4. RWil85 thread starter macrumors 6502

Does it leave a big hump in the back?

5. n1smo macrumors member

Nope

6. RWil85 thread starter macrumors 6502

Another question, sorry.

These magnets are really strong enough so that the phone doesn't come loose while driving?

I want to like it but don't trust it lol.

7. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

I have been using mine for more than 6 months and not once has my phone came loose during driving

I bought the cheapest i could find at that time which was this one

8. Cogsworth, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016

Cogsworth macrumors 6502

Cogsworth

I have also been using magnetic mounts and have tried a few. Most hold pretty securely with a thin case like the Apple Leather. I just place the plate inside between phone and case without using the adhesive as others have said. The only problem I've found is with thicker cases, specifically for me the Otterbox Symmetry Leather Edition. A lot of magnets are not strong enough to grab the metal plate through a thicker case back however I have found two that work: Scosche MagicMount XL and MagicMount Pro. They are both advertised as having stronger magnets and they really work. In fact of all the magnetic mounts I've tried the Scosche line has been the best and they are not even that expensive. Even the standard MagicMount is great and stronger than most cheapies.

Using the Apple Leather case I've never had the phone fall off a magnetic mount, they are all pretty strong.

9. RWil85 thread starter macrumors 6502

Great info, thanks.

I've looked at the Scosche as well.

I know the magnetic plates come in various sizes. Using the smallest one with the apple leather - did you find that it left an annoying hump in the case or was it not noticeable?

10. Cogsworth macrumors 6502

Cogsworth

I am currently using the larger of the two plates, and I don't really notice any annoying hump at all under the Apple Leather.

11. RWil85 thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome.

Might actually go grab one today. Thanks.

12. rijc99 macrumors 6502a

rijc99

Any potential for scratching if the plate is floated between the phone and leather case? And whats the difference between the two plate sizes?

Thanks

13. tallazzPilipino, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016

tallazzPilipino macrumors 6502

tallazzPilipino

I have a few, myself. since I prefer a bare back with just a skin, i have the metal plate on the skin, and then the same skin on the plate to blend it in...

[​IMG]

for my work phone, I actually use a thick Incipio case where I have a plate that's loose inside. as long as the surfaces of both my case and the rubber material on the magnet/mount are clean, the phone won't slide around.