iP6 goes to 1x while on calls.

Gix1k

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Every single time I go to hangup a call I notice my phone shows 1x at the top. As soon as it's over, bounces back to LTE. Anyone else?

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
All Verizon calls are on 1x until they do VOlte. It's a feature not a bug. Don't worry about it.

boxermansr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
El Paso, TX
The 6 and 6+ both support VoLTE with Verizon which means if you're in an LTE area (and enable it on your phone, and perhaps on Verizon's website as well; not sure if that's necessary since when I did mine it took care of the changes for me and I didn't have to do any online), then you'll have LTE when you're on a call, otherwise it will be 1x (meaning no data while on voice - unless on WiFi of course).

It can take a few minutes for the setting to kick in when enabling voice and data under the cellular menu, and if it doesn't after 6 minutes, you'd need to call Verizon so they can help you out with it.

Gix1k

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
So I called Verizon and it's not as simple as enabling that feature in the cellular data setting. You need call them and have Advanced calling 1.0 and HD voice added to your plan. Otherwise the phone will just spin on Voice & Data, then bounce back to data only. I now have it checked and working on my phone.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/consumer/advanced-calling.html

Last edited:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
In my area, there are a lot of areas where Verizon's LTE signal is noticeably "not as strong" as their 1x/3G signal. i.e. LTE will show 1-2 bars, but 1x will show 5 bars.

Now that you've flipped your voice calls to go over LTE, if you start noticing them dropping more, that may be why. They don't currently have handoff, meaning if you're on a VoLTE voice call, and lose LTE, it won't automatically switch your call back to 1x. The call will drop. You can disable VoLTE in that proves to be a problem.

But to your original question, it is normal for a Verizon/Sprint phone (not on VoLTE) to switch over to 1x to make a voice call, and then switch back to LTE when you're done.

Gix1k

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
In my area, there are a lot of areas where Verizon's LTE signal is noticeably "not as strong" as their 1x/3G signal. i.e. LTE will show 1-2 bars, but 1x will show 5 bars.

Now that you've flipped your voice calls to go over LTE, if you start noticing them dropping more, that may be why. They don't currently have handoff, meaning if you're on a VoLTE voice call, and lose LTE, it won't automatically switch your call back to 1x. The call will drop. You can disable VoLTE in that proves to be a problem.

But to your original question, it is normal for a Verizon/Sprint phone (not on VoLTE) to switch over to 1x to make a voice call, and then switch back to LTE when you're done.
Valuable information. Thank you

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
even if you do have VoLTE enabled, you need to call another Verizon subscriber with VoLTE for it to be Volte.
if you call someone who does not have VoLTE, like a landline or someone with AT&T or T-Mobile, it will still be 1x

i haven't tried VoLTE yet!!!! does it say Volte when you call #DATA or #MIN ??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.