iP6 goes to 1x while on calls.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Gix1k, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Every single time I go to hangup a call I notice my phone shows 1x at the top. As soon as it's over, bounces back to LTE. Anyone else?

2. Big Dawg 23 macrumors regular

Carrier? Sounds like Sprint or Verizon.

3. gemnilocs macrumors 6502

gemnilocs

sounds like Verizon

4. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

5. Big Dawg 23 macrumors regular

6. maliu macrumors 6502a

All Verizon calls are on 1x until they do VOlte. It's a feature not a bug. Don't worry about it.

7. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Thanks for this. My phone was on "Data Only". When I switch to "Voice & Data" I get the spinning wheel that never connects.

8. boxermansr macrumors 6502

boxermansr

The 6 and 6+ both support VoLTE with Verizon which means if you're in an LTE area (and enable it on your phone, and perhaps on Verizon's website as well; not sure if that's necessary since when I did mine it took care of the changes for me and I didn't have to do any online), then you'll have LTE when you're on a call, otherwise it will be 1x (meaning no data while on voice - unless on WiFi of course).

It can take a few minutes for the setting to kick in when enabling voice and data under the cellular menu, and if it doesn't after 6 minutes, you'd need to call Verizon so they can help you out with it.

9. Gix1k, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

So I called Verizon and it's not as simple as enabling that feature in the cellular data setting. You need call them and have Advanced calling 1.0 and HD voice added to your plan. Otherwise the phone will just spin on Voice & Data, then bounce back to data only. I now have it checked and working on my phone.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/consumer/advanced-calling.html

10. aristobrat macrumors G5

In my area, there are a lot of areas where Verizon's LTE signal is noticeably "not as strong" as their 1x/3G signal. i.e. LTE will show 1-2 bars, but 1x will show 5 bars.

Now that you've flipped your voice calls to go over LTE, if you start noticing them dropping more, that may be why. They don't currently have handoff, meaning if you're on a VoLTE voice call, and lose LTE, it won't automatically switch your call back to 1x. The call will drop. You can disable VoLTE in that proves to be a problem.

But to your original question, it is normal for a Verizon/Sprint phone (not on VoLTE) to switch over to 1x to make a voice call, and then switch back to LTE when you're done.

11. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Valuable information. Thank you

12. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

even if you do have VoLTE enabled, you need to call another Verizon subscriber with VoLTE for it to be Volte.
    if you call someone who does not have VoLTE, like a landline or someone with AT&T or T-Mobile, it will still be 1x

i haven't tried VoLTE yet!!!! does it say Volte when you call #DATA or #MIN ??