iP6 Personal Hotspot Accessed Despite It Being Turned Off

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by imacadoo, Oct 1, 2014.

1. imacadoo macrumors member

I have my iP6 personal hotspot turned off. But my iPad Air (running 8.0) still accessed it automatically without any action on my part (didn't require me to select the hotspot as an available network or prompt for the hotspot password). I would have thought the iPad would have accessed available wifi networks before the hotspot but even more concerning is that it accessed the phone's hotspot even though hotspot was turned off. Any thoughts on this behavior? Thanks.

2. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

iOS 8 accesses it as part of Handoff & Continuity. Does the same thing with Yosemite. Turn off handoff if you don't want this to happen.

3. epphllps macrumors 6502

iP6 Personal Hotspot Accessed Despite It Being Turned Off

That's very strange. I have used the hotspot for years on an iPhone and never had this occur. Hasn't happened to me on my iP6 on any version of iOS 8 and not on 8.1 beta 1, either.

I would just make sure that you have the hotspot turned off within settings and then hard reset the phone. Go from there and I feel you will be okay, but if this occurs again I would submit a bug report with Apple. When the hotspot is turned off, it should be OFF, so I agree with your concern.

----------

I have this enabled, as well, but when I have my hotspot turned off it isn't accessed by anything.

4. imacadoo thread starter macrumors member

5. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

It's suppose to. It's not actually connecting. It just automatically shows it's available for easy access. It will remotely turn on hotspot if you try to connect to it