iP6 Personal Hotspot Accessed Despite It Being Turned Off

imacadoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2012
Westchester, NY
I have my iP6 personal hotspot turned off. But my iPad Air (running 8.0) still accessed it automatically without any action on my part (didn't require me to select the hotspot as an available network or prompt for the hotspot password). I would have thought the iPad would have accessed available wifi networks before the hotspot but even more concerning is that it accessed the phone's hotspot even though hotspot was turned off. Any thoughts on this behavior? Thanks.

mbsaeger

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
I have my iP6 personal hotspot turned off. But my iPad Air (running 8.0) still accessed it automatically without any action on my part (didn't require me to select the hotspot as an available network or prompt for the hotspot password). I would have thought the iPad would have accessed available wifi networks before the hotspot but even more concerning is that it accessed the phone's hotspot even though hotspot was turned off. Any thoughts on this behavior? Thanks.
iOS 8 accesses it as part of Handoff & Continuity. Does the same thing with Yosemite. Turn off handoff if you don't want this to happen.

epphllps

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
West TN
iP6 Personal Hotspot Accessed Despite It Being Turned Off

That's very strange. I have used the hotspot for years on an iPhone and never had this occur. Hasn't happened to me on my iP6 on any version of iOS 8 and not on 8.1 beta 1, either.

I would just make sure that you have the hotspot turned off within settings and then hard reset the phone. Go from there and I feel you will be okay, but if this occurs again I would submit a bug report with Apple. When the hotspot is turned off, it should be OFF, so I agree with your concern.

----------

iOS 8 accesses it as part of Handoff & Continuity. Does the same thing with Yosemite. Turn off handoff if you don't want this to happen.

I have this enabled, as well, but when I have my hotspot turned off it isn't accessed by anything.

imacadoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2012
Westchester, NY
That's very strange. I have used the hotspot for years on an iPhone and never had this occur. Hasn't happened to me on my iP6 on any version of iOS 8 and not on 8.1 beta 1, either.

I would just make sure that you have the hotspot turned off within settings and then hard reset the phone. Go from there and I feel you will be okay, but if this occurs again I would submit a bug report with Apple. When the hotspot is turned off, it should be OFF, so I agree with your concern.

----------

Thanks. Will do.

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
It's suppose to. It's not actually connecting. It just automatically shows it's available for easy access. It will remotely turn on hotspot if you try to connect to it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.