IP6 survives the toilet test unscathed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Slimmyhendrix, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Slimmyhendrix macrumors regular

Long story short,
    Sweetpants- phone in pocket- somehow it made its way to take a bath.

It was only in for a few seconds and then I rinsed it off, powered off, dried it, dried out the plugs and holes (found a year worth of lint in the headphone plug lol) cleaned up with alcohol wipes, hair dried out the Lightning plug , and let dry overnight.

No problems at all and I don't see water indicators changed either.

As Steve jobs said, it just works !

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Consider yourself lucky if all is well a week from now.

3. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

How to stop water damage after a dip in the toilet? Put it in more water. Sorry, found that funny. Hopefully it survived.

4. iMas70 macrumors 6502a

Your lucky! The phone could have ended up in deep sh*t!

I accidently dropped mine in a cup of water for a couple of seconds months ago. It fell straight in so I think air pressure kept the water out.

5. Slimmyhendrix thread starter macrumors regular

6. karmatourer macrumors 6502a

karmatourer

Was the test with both yellow liquid and solid matter or just clear water? Kidding aside,if there is any doubt,put it in a container of uncooked rice when not in use.

7. btrav13 macrumors 6502

Liquid damage does funny things to electronics, but as an employee in wireless, it seems only cell phone owners think there's a magic fix. If I took your 60 inch LED and dropped it in the pool, would you honestly put it in a humongous bin of rice?

Every singe time a piece of electronic equipment gets wet there is a chance it will work and a chance that it won't. There is no magic "fix" for phones that makes them work again. TV, computer, laptop, XBOX, any of it...there is no magic fix and you will have the same result. It might work, it might not work. It might work and now and act up later. It's pure random luck and there's nothing you can do personally to stop it.

8. karmatourer macrumors 6502a

karmatourer

Except put it in a container of rice.It has worked for several clumsy people I know.

9. Slimmyhendrix thread starter macrumors regular

Clear to yellow.

10. Serickmetz macrumors 6502

Serickmetz

I recommend a few more glasses of water during your day.

11. jpgr15, Sep 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  12. Slimmyhendrix thread starter macrumors regular

Ya I was lucky because I was at home and had access to clean with alcohol wipes and blow dryer and what not.

13. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

If you think about it, it's sad we have come to a point that we can't even take time out for a number one or number two without being on our devices. Course depending on what you were looking at, I could imagine a moment where holding onto phone might be challenge.

Wait a sec......we have a selfy stick, maybe there is a market for a headpod, device to hold phone in front of eyes attached to head. Leave hands free. Damn what an interesting accessory.

14. bushido Suspended

bushido

i left my iPhone 6 in the bath tub for ten minutes and it acted like nothing happened. the next day the speaker didnt working cuz it thought headphones were plugged in but even that fixed itself after another few days. the display ended up with really light smudgy shadows but after all i was impressed

15. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Strange place to leave phone. And here I always thought iPhones were like cats, and didn't take to water.

16. Slimmyhendrix thread starter macrumors regular

It seems as if the ip6 is a lot more water tight. I haven't taken one apart yet but the 5c and 5s seemed to have some areas that could leak.